2009 Camry LE 4cyl - tires and tire rating

Hi,

I have a 2009 Toy Camry LE (4cyl) that has v-rated tires (bridgestone crap) that have worn out only after 25000 miles (highway miles). The tire stores do not want to put any other tire than a v-rated tire. They say that can void the warranty and yet others say that can be a safety issue. I wanted to get H-rated tires because they last a little longer than the v-rated ones. My wife drives the car and the last time I saw her driving the car, she does not indulge in any macho driving habits, just the drive back and forth to work. What kind of tires are OK for this car and does it void the warranty if I put some other rated tires on it? Also, can safety be compromised by just putting H-rated tires on this car? One of the reasons they give me is that the H-rated tires have softer sidewalls compared to the v-rated ones and cornering can cause safety issues. I am wondering whether there is truly any merit to any of the issues they keep talking about? I understand the composition of the different rated tires and how they perform, but for a car like Toyota Camry, are they all valid?

Please help. Thanks

stony

Reply to
stony

List the size here to make sure, but you should be fine with H rated tires. Just tell her to keep it under 110mph.

Reply to
Leftie

215/60-R16 95V is the OEM that is on there now from the manufacturer. They are Bridgestone Potenza's. I am looking at H-rated tires of the same size and the tire stores are giving me some grief about that. wonder what the motive is for that. I don't think my wife drives the car anything over 65-70 mph.

Thanks for your responses

stony

Reply to
stony

Look it up on

or
From the looks of thing if you wife can hold it below 118 mph and stays off the race track she ought to be OK with T rated tires. I bought 4 tires for my camry from discount tire direct the Yokahama ones and so far they are working out great. I can mount and balance them myself, but for most you will have to have shop do that. The ones I got, only one required weights and that was like a half ounce to get into balance.

Reply to
Fatter Than Ever Moe

Had the same problem with tire dealers. After much research finally ended up with General Altimax HP with 94V rating.

Tire Rack even gave good reviews, see:

2002 Camry XLE /130,000 mi So far (7,000mi) nice tires. Much improved over Michelen MXV4-S8 and a whole lot cheaper. Did notice drop in mileage at first with 29# inflation, up it to 33# and mileage went back up to normal.

Jerry

From the looks of thing if you wife can hold it below 118 mph and stays > off the race track she ought to be OK with T rated tires.> I bought 4 tires for my camry from discount tire direct the Yokahama ones > and so far they are working out great. I can mount and balance them > myself, but for most you will have to have shop do that. The ones I got, > only one required weights and that was like a half ounce to get into > balance.

Reply to
JJ

Around 20-22K miles is about when many Bridgestones like to wear out. Just avoid them like a plague.

215/60R16V is the tire on
I'm not sure why Toyota wants to put V rated tires on Camrys. I mean, nobody considers them performance cars right? But if they do, you have to use them, unless you can point to a decal on the door frame saying otherwise.

For liability reasons tire shops these days won't install lesser ratings, even if you acknowledge it on the work order. Costco for one won't install lesser ones for you. I like to get Michelins from Costco. However, the V-rated Energy S8 has only a 440 rating, which equals about 44K miles. For me the ratings are pretty much in the ball park.

Reply to
john

Yeah, right. That's BS.

go to

use their web site, esp. customer ratings, to find tires for your car. You can look up speed ratings to see that your car should be fine with anything "T" rated or above. You need to know the LOAD rating of the tires, as this is the safety related issue for your Camry.

you can use The Tire Rack to find an installer in your area who will install tires sold by tire rack. most independent shops will also install tires they consider safe, not necessarily OEM tires.

not all Bridgestone tires are crap. I've used Bridgestones on several cars with fine results. currently I have a set on my Accord.

Happy Motoring

Reply to
ACAR

Most Accords here are driven by ricer gang members.

Reply to
Sharx35

go to

use their web site, esp. customer ratings, to find tires for your car. You can look up speed ratings to see that your car should be fine with anything "T" rated or above. You need to know the LOAD rating of the tires, as this is the safety related issue for your Camry.

you can use The Tire Rack to find an installer in your area who will install tires sold by tire rack. most independent shops will also install tires they consider safe, not necessarily OEM tires.

not all Bridgestone tires are crap. I've used Bridgestones on several cars with fine results. currently I have a set on my Accord.

Happy Motoring

********** Well, we have to define "crap". Our Avalon and my new Solara came with Michelins, but the Avalon wore out these shoes in 30K miles. They were quiet and had great traction, but that isnt much life for such an expensive tire.

I researched Tire Rack, and finally came up with a set of Kumho Platinums rated 168 mph and with expected very long tread life....and cheaper than the Michelin replacements.

I wouldnt want long life tires if the traction was severely compromised.

But as you suggest, Tire Rack is a great place to compare tires (and to buy them), and the OP should be able to find something there that he would be happy with.

Reply to
hls

Many tire stores will not install tires that are speed rated lower than the the original tires. It's immaterial to the store that the manufacturer happened to include tires with a far greater speed rating than actually necessary, it's their insurance company trying to limit liability or the store trying to up-sell.

It's rather annoying what Toyota does with Camry tires. I think they're getting a good deal on the higher speed-rated tires and just putting them on everything that takes that specific tire size. The long term implications don't matter to them.

It's the same deal with our 1996 Camry. The factory tires were H rated, and even though S rated or T rated would be fine, some tire stores won't install them for liability reasons. I'll soon run into the same issue on our 2007 Camry with V rated tires.

You can either find a store that doesn't have this policy, or order from a place like TireRack and pay ridiculously high prices for installation from one of their installers.

Reply to
SMS

Honestly I have the same problem... I want to find a 80-100K tire to put on my fiance's 2009 camry... I don't know what is on her Camry now but she is already down into the wear bars and she doesn't even have

25K on the car! I have heard that they set up the suspension around the tires that are put on the car origionally. Does this mean that the suspension can be adjusted to accept T or H rated tires without any change in the suspension feeling?
Reply to
Nathan