90 Bronco 2 - timing chain

Began this project last night. Been a while since I did one of these. Got everything broken down to the harmonic balancer which was the last thing I took off. I pulled the water pump (no sense going down this far without replacing it) What surprises do I have left? Will drop the oil pan first - then what?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I don't think I would even drop the oil pan. Just unbolt it from the timing cover. Many timing cover sets have the front stubs of the oil pan gasket so that you simply seal the joint with silicon making the job much easier. If nothing else, you could get an oil pan gasket and use a sharp knife to cut your own filler stubs. Never had a problem with this and use it to avoid having to remove unnecessary parts. Could save you much work and several hours.

Reply to
lugnut

Agreed and I appreciate it. I should have given more details. This 2.9 has

176K miles on it. No leak on the pan gasket, but I was going to take a look at the screen, pan, etc. and check out for any debris. I've heard that there is a trick to installing the gaskets / covers on these models. Any feedback?

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

I finally got to the timing chain cover - got it off and the chain was intact - gears looked great. Adjusters were in perfect order. Got the G.F. to turn over the engine. No movement of the crank. Took off the flywheel inspection cover - spinning like normal (although a bit of a metal to metal sound). Is it what I suspect . . . a broken crank? I pulled the #1 plug and put a screwdriver in the socket . . . I reinserted the bolt that held on the harmonic balancer and turned it over by hand. The screwdriver moved up and down. Any thoughts? Could it be a broken flywheel since I can't see the bolts that connect to the crank? I'm going to drop the oil pan to confirm my worst case scenario - but I think it's a broken crank.

Jim Mc Namara

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

|I finally got to the timing chain cover - got it off and the chain was |intact - gears looked great. Adjusters were in perfect order. Got the G.F. |to turn over the engine. No movement of the crank. Took off the flywheel |inspection cover - spinning like normal (although a bit of a metal to metal |sound). Is it what I suspect . . . a broken crank? I pulled the #1 plug |and put a screwdriver in the socket . . . I reinserted the bolt that held on |the harmonic balancer and turned it over by hand. The screwdriver moved up |and down. Any thoughts? Could it be a broken flywheel since I can't see |the bolts that connect to the crank? I'm going to drop the oil pan to |confirm my worst case scenario - but I think it's a broken crank.

I can't imagine anything else it could be. Sounds like the crank snout has parted company Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I didn't get a chance to work on it this weekend. When I removed the inspection cover plate on the flywheel, there were no signs of any metal, sheered bolts, or fragments. When I removed the starter, the teeth on the flywheel appeared to be clean and no sign of metal frags there either. I'll pull the pan this week and give the crank a visual. If all looks good, the tranny comes next. Really hoping for the flywheel . . . .

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara