85 camry slows & stalls after 20 mins

I have an 85 camry manual 5 spd that has been workin great for me and I love driving it very nice smooth ride. but recently a problem has arose. After about 20 minutes of normal driving the car slowly starts to mis-fire like crazy to the extent that the car starts to deccelerate and then I have to pull it off to the side of the road and ussualy stalls if I dont turn it off. Even if I do turn it off ; when I try to start it again it doesnt start right away, if it does start, the idle is very rough and if I step on the gas the car accelerates super slow if not even at all. the first time it happened I had to leave it on the side of the road over night and get it towed the next morning. but later I found it started fine and I took it out for a drive for about 15 minutes then the same problem started again but I got it home before it totally died.

I replaced the (fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor, fuel filter), (checked the ignition coil, cleaned the fuel injectors & throttle body and did a fuel pressure test everything works fine) but i am stumped what else could it be

any suggestions welcome Thanks

Reply to
rockhard

Its the ignition coil I bet, as it heats up moisture vaporises and shorts the coil, its a common camry issue, clean the coil, be sure the cap is tight or replace it if cleaning wont help.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have a virtually the same problem on my 90 camry. I also checked the distributor and coil. Both pick-ups and primary/secondary coils tested OK for resistance so I didn't think this was the problem. I still haven't found the solution yet so I'll be very interested in knowing what works for you. Although mine checks OK as well I've read many posts that suggests a malfunctioning engine coolant temp sensor will cause similar problems - fools the ECU.

Reply to
sroger007

The quick check for coolant temp. sensor. Obtain 300 ohm, 2Watt resistor When engine warms up,shut it off, unplug green connector from the sensor and insert resistors leads into the terminals.Protect assembly with tape, then start the engine. if if it runs good now, replace the sensor. Also make sure, that female terminals inside connector are not pulled in.

Reply to
Doctor J

I have the same problem. I already changed the CTS and the distributor assembly. Any other ideas? Thanks

Erhan

Reply to
Erhan

The temp sensor could cause problems, but it should happen as soon as the car warms up. Not 20 minutes later. I believe the 85 has a temperature gauge. If the behavior correlates with engine temperature, than it's probably the coolent sensor (which is different from the one running the gauge). Price at NAPA should be under $20.

Toyota's have had problems with coil/ignitor assemblies being heat sensitive. My '83 was recalled about 6 months after I bought it to replace the ignitor. The only way to know for sure is to replace it with a known good unit. New ones are absurdly priced, so it's not a cheap experiment. Junk yards are a good source, but it's hard to know if you have a good one.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

In rare instances, the beginning of a fuel pump failure shows up this way. One time (83 Camry) the pump discharge port strainer became separated and plugged pressure line. The fragment was removed by blowing the air from the fuel filter side down to the pump.

Reply to
Doctor J

Hey I found my problem.. I feel kinda stupid. but at first when I was doing the fuel pressure test I disconected the gas line and physically tested what the pressure was like with my hands and then did so after the car was warmed up didnt seem like any difference at all.... I talked to my uncle (a mechanic) and he let me borrow his actuall fuel gauge tester. After all that I found that a 85 camrys normal fuel line PSI is 33 - 38 psi. I took my car for a drive with it hooked up and saw that the psi started dropping from 30 and ended up around 15 psi when the car sounded like it was gonna stall.. so it was my fuel pump Ahhh...

Reply to
rockhard

Did you often drive with gasoline less than quarter tank full?

Reply to
Daniel

Yes actually I did and I think that would probably be part of my problem anyways I make sure I dont run it empty to much anymore

Reply to
rockhard