90 Camry Transmission Screen? fluid?

The mechanic told me that the 90 Camry has a screen not a filter and that it is best to flush the transmission fluid out and that cleans the screen. Is this best or does it stir up dirt. He also said that just changing the transmission fluid by draining it only gets out 20% of the old fluid. Does anyone have ideas on this? Thanks!

Reply to
90CamryOwner

It probably gets 40% but only cost mayb $4 vice the $119 for a forced flush. Then do same thing the next 2 oil changes.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Flushing the transmission does not stir up dirt and it will exchange all the old fluid for new. Draining the pan removes roughly 40%. You probably need to drain it three separate times to get most of the old fluid out because when you drain and add, the old fluid mixes with the new. There is not a replaceable paper filter element, but a metal screen. If the fluid has been kept clean, you shouldn't have to change or clean the screen. Depends on the condition of the present fluid. I acquired a Camry with 85,000 miles, fluid was slightly darkened and the pan gasket was leaking, so I had that replaced. There was kind of a dark slime covering the inside of the pan which I don't think would have been removed by exchanging all the fliuid. They cleaned the inside of the pan when changing the gasket, then after seeing the condition of the fluid I later had it flushed. Turns out two of the bolts were stripped and I wound up changing the gasket again 30,000 miles later. I'd been changing the fluid regularly with synthetic Mobil 1 ATF after the flush, and this time when the pan was removed it was already completely clean.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus