93 Won't Start, Timing Belt or Ignition Problems

Hi, I have a 93 Camry with 201K miles on it. As far as I know, the timing belt has never been replaced.

The car died suddenly yesterday. Now it won't start. I did the fuel pump test and I am pretty sure I have fuel pressure.

I think I am not getting spark. I removed a plug wire and saw no spark jumping when turning the motor over.

My question is if the timing belt broke, should I still get spark? My car is the 4 cylinder type and I believe it is the "breakerless" ignition system with an internal coil.

The motor doesn't sound any different when I try to start it so I doubt the timing belt broke. However, at 201K it is a certain possibility.

Also, what is the best way to tell if the belt broke?

Thanks!

Reply to
les

200000 miles, I bet you have no belt
Reply to
ransley

You won't see any spark jumping in the boot itself, you need to put a spark plug in there and hold it next to the block or head. If the belt is broken, there would be a noticeable change in the sound of the engine while cranking, so that's pretty easy to check. Just start with the basics - air, fuel, spark, compression (aka timing). Make sure you got them all.

Reply to
qslim

The distributor is driven off the cam I think on that model. So you will get no spark and distributor won't turn if timing belt broke.

The easiest way is to take the inspection rubber cover off and see if the pulley and part of the belt you can see moves while you crank (take the usual precautions). You should have the inspection cap near where the tensioner pulley bolt is. Might want to pull the fuel pump relay so you don't flood the engine.

If needed I would change out the following: (ealier

prices for 3/5SFE) GATES TCK199 (kit of timing belt with two pulleys and instruction) $84.79 GATES Part # K030295 PS belt $4.32 GATES Part # K050435 Alt/AC $12.12 FEL-PRO TCS45641 Cam seal $4.11 FEL-PRO TCS45920 Crank seal $6.04 BCA Part # 221820 Oil pump seal $2.71 AISIN (Toyota #16110-79185) water pump $58.79 FEL-PRO VS50304R valve cover gasket set $13.94

Reply to
johngdole