98 Camry clunking sound

Got a 98 Camry CE V6 with only 60000 miles. When going over bumps a loud clunking noise seems to be coming from the front passenger side. Had a Toyota mech check it out but he couldn't find anything loose or worn (struts in good condition).

Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

Alex

Reply to
AY Metz

It is most probably the strut mount bushings. This is a common problem in early Generation4 and all Generation 3 Camrys. My 94 and 97 Camrys both had this problem.

Reply to
badgolferman

Check the stabilizer bar bushings. Inexpensive and easy to replace. BTW, if your car is making a clunking sound over bumps and the mechanic can't find anything, I'd be looking for another mechanic.

Reply to
Daniel

My daughter has a 97 XLE, coming home from college she hit some rough road and reported the same. Couldn't replicate it drving around town or highway, (course I didn't hit any big holes). Is it something that affects stability, drivability, and how soon should it be fixed. I'd like to wait until she's back for the summer and what, get new struts, bushings, or what? Car does have 110k so reckon it's time for struts anyway, but what else should I tell my mechanic? Thanks Mark

Reply to
pheasant

You got worn engine mounts,

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Check out suspension TSB # SU001-00. That cured my front end noise in my '99 LE.

You can find the TSB here in the file section

Ken Peterson

problem

Camrys

seriously.