Grinding when Starting, Also have to jiggle shifter to get it started

Hello, I have a question that I hope someone can help me with this. Here lately, once in a while when I attempt to start my daughters car, the starter just grinds. Then I jiggle the shifter, and it will start just fine. I know there is a neutral safety switch in there. But how to I adjust/clean it? Its a 97 Camry LE, 4 cyc.

Reply to
97CamryLEnewbie

The switch you are looking for is mounted on the front of the auto-trans as viewed with the hood up looking down at the forward side of the trans. The workshop manual says there is a vertical line inscribed on the switch which must be inline with a similar mark cut into the shaft which operates the switch. Loosen the switch mounting screws prior to aligning the 2 marks.

It maybe the switch is worn or broken or full of dirt. Best to buy a workshop manual so you can do this job. Up in the console, there is a cable running to the trans which is operated by the gear-selector. The adjustment for this cable, maybe loose or damaged making the problem worse or actually be the problem. Once again, a manual is your friend. They can be bought at most auto accesory-stores for around $30 or so.

My money would be on the switch being worn, if I had to bet on it. Jason

Reply to
Jason James