'99 Camry V6 LE Power Outlet Mystery - Corrected

Several months ago, using a crappy 12V plug-in inflator the inflator shorted out. I didn't immediately notice that the dash power outlet, below the cigarette lighter went dead too.

I've checked the specific dash 15V fuse with a VOH meter. It tested fine. With the ignition on I checked the cigarette lighter and got 12V, when I tried the power outlet there was no response. I also tried a known good (tested) power cable plugged into the power outlet but there was no meter response.

On visual exam I noticed that the center contact of the power outlet wasn't very substantial; also that the adapter cylindrical shell pulled about half way out of the housing. Perhaps an open circuit at the outlet?

Is there any type of fusible link between the adapter and the fuse? How big a deal is it to change out the outlet unit? Do these units simply rotate and pull out or is it necessary to disassembly part of the dash board? Any additional troubleshooting advice would be appreciated. Been burned by Murphy's Law too many too many times in the past ... all things being in your favor,,,,

Reply to
R.E.Pasco

That is a common problem with cheap cig-lighter plugs, they often damage the lighter socket or if there was a short, blow the CL fuse. The fuse will be a 30Amp plug-in in one of the fuseboxes, probably under the dash. If you are using a power-lead, select one with wide earthing contacts, rather than the wire-types. Sometimes ash fouls the bottom button connector in the CL socket. Dont twist the plug when inserted as this can damage the socket.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James