96 Maxima 12V adapter

The 12V adapter on my 96 maxima does not work. As far as I know, it has never worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

dave

Reply to
daveftc

worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

Reply to
JimV

Key on, key off. Makes no difference. dave

Reply to
daveftc

worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

I'm pretty sure you can buy new ones at your local automotive shop - they're pretty easy to put in and relitively inexpensive. I'd say that's worth a shot. Otherwise, if you have a multimeter, you could see if you're getting any DC current...

- Chris Merkel

Reply to
Chris Merkel

Did you check the fuses or just "look" at them visually?

Reply to
Steve

The 12V adapter only works when the ignition key is on.

never worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

The cigarette lighters often have a fuse built into them.

You need a meter to see if there is voltage at the connector where the wires come in, and then see if there is voltage inside the connector where you plug in the lighter (or your 12v adapter)

Mike

never worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

Reply to
Mike

It is also possible that the wire fell off or got loose that goes to the cigarette lighter. It should ONLY be ON if the KEY is in the ACC position or ON (car running).

Reply to
95-96maximas

Try using an ohmmeter to check for continuity from the center pin of the adaptor to one side of the fuse. maybe no wire?

never worked (My friend claims he tried it years ago and it was not working then.) The fuses look good. Ideas?

Reply to
Ralph Cameron

Reply to
JimV