Brake Groan

Could someone please bring me up to date on the 99 Camry "brake groan" problem. In the past, I've seen complaints posted to the group re a groaning or grinding problem when applying the brakes, but happily ignored them thinking it was something to do with the anti-lock brakes (which I don't have) or some problem I lucked out on and didn't have.

My brakes have been and still are very smooth under light application, but lately I have been doing more highway driving and notice applying the brakes at highway speed, or on long steep downgrades where moderate pedal force is required, causes a groaning noise that increases with increased pedal force. Thinking back, this did happen a few times when the car was almost new and I put it down to road surface noise, which I now realize it was not.

Was any cause and solution offerred by Toyota?

Thnx for any info

Allan

Reply to
Allan

In news:crazy-2510031808540001@204.244.233.95, Allan being of bellicose mind posted:

I've had cars in the past do this moan/groan behavior when the brakes got hot, especially when bringing the car to a stop a the bottom of a long downhill, having ridden the brakes all the way down. Each time, the rotors had become highly glazed and the pads about 60% worn. Resurface rotors and a choice of a -lower- metallic pad took care of it forever after.

Reply to
Philip ®

On different cars I have used rough sandpaper to break the glaze on the disks. I have even used an air tool with a sanding disk. I have seen engine builders use the air tool on engine blocks before installing the heads. I would not do this myself on the block, but it will not hurt the rotors if you do it lightly.

Reply to
Thudd

Some times it is as simple as accumulated brake pad dust in the calibers. Get can of brake cleaner or high pressure hose to wash them (do when they are cold to avoid warping them).

Reply to
Wolfgang

Could someone please bring me up to date on the 99 Camry "brake groan" problem. In the past, I've seen complaints posted to the group re a groaning or grinding problem when applying the brakes, but happily ignored them thinking it was something to do with the anti-lock brakes (which I don't have) or some problem I lucked out on and didn't have.

My brakes have been and still are very smooth under light application, but lately I have been doing more highway driving and notice applying the brakes at highway speed, or on long steep downgrades where moderate pedal force is required, causes a groaning noise that increases with increased pedal force. Thinking back, this did happen a few times when the car was almost new and I put it down to road surface noise, which I now realize it was not.

Was any cause and solution offered by Toyota?

Thnx for any info

Allan

Reply to
Allan

Could be brake pads "glazing" - hard shiny surface covering the friction material. Sometimes applying the brakes firmly from a higher speed a couple of times can remove this glaze. Light use of brakes, especially over a longer braking distance can cause this condition develop. Make sure you're using Toyota brake pads. They have put much effort into designing the composition for the most effective normal use. If the rotors are glazed the surface may need to be "roughened up" slightly. Also check that the anti squeal shims and anti squeal compound were applied between them and the back of the brake pads.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Allan: On my 99 Camry the brake groan was caused by the rear brake drums. There is a Technical Service Bulletin from Toyota on this problem. The fix is to replace the rear brake drums with a redesigned drum from Toyota. If you had brought it to your dealer's attention when the car was newer they would have replaced them for free. I replaced my rear drums and shoes myself and the cost for parts was $260 from the dealer. The noise has been gone for 15 thousand miles now.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Weiss

brake noise came from the front brake pads. they're made of very hard, rock like material. In 1999 or thereabouts toyota came out with "black" pads to lessen the noise but the tradeoff is that they don't last as long. In my case there was a tremendous groaning sound when i got the dealers bill for a "checkup". good luck.

Reply to
spamlapper