Camry 4 vs 6 engines ?

we have a 98 with 60,000 miles- runs great-very peppy- I would go for the milage-gas will only go up...(I own exxon as a mini hedge.) great air conditioner--great car... Michael

Reply to
M.Balarama

oh yea-I use the middle grade gas and it run very very smooth...really good gas mileage..(the book says use the cheapest as but I find the little extra octane makes the difference-runs very smooth) michael

Reply to
M.Balarama

I have owned 2 4-cyl Camrys (present one is a 98 with 227,000 kms) so far and I can attest that noise is not a problem. The only issue, only if you like to nickpick, is that it may produce a little bit more vibrations than the 6. For me, though, it's no issue whatsoever. Concerning the difference of only 1 MPG in gas mileage between the 2, I can only say that it might be right if you maintain a steady speed but, start playing with the accelerator and you'll probably be glad you picked the 4 over the 6.

Reply to
Bassplayer12

I've owned the 6-cyl Camry since '95 and the 4-cyl since '00. The 6 gets 25 mpg, and the 4 gets 30 mpg. (Gasoline is well over $3/gal in much of California today.) Here's the acid test: Call your dealer's service department and price the replacement of the rear valve cover gasket, which routinely leaks after warranty. When you hear the $500+ estimate for a lousy gasket, your decision will be easy. (I live with the leak.) Do yourself and the planet a favor. Buy the 4-cyl.

H.K.

Reply to
Herbert.Kocks

The 6 I test drove had less wind noise than the 4. No idea why. Obviously, some were better assembled than others.

Reply to
sharx35

Frankly, I don't care HOW high gas goes. The higher oil goes, the higher my oil stock goes. I'll drive the Camry that delivers performance. Life is far too short too worry about trivialities such as fuel cost. Maybe if some people stopped wasting money on such things as bottled water, over-priced coffee, HAVING to have, instantly, the lates in computer game equipment, they wouldn't HAVE to compromise on vehicle choice. Works for me.

Reply to
sharx35

Wowzer..........now thats a wonderful attitude ! Z

--------------------------

Reply to
Zork

I am not the biggest fan of Consumer Reports car opinions, but I usually find their gas mileage measurements accurate. Here is what they claimed for Camrys:

vehicle / overall / city / highway / 150 mile trip Camry 4 / 24 / 16 / 36 / 29 Camry V6 / 23 / 16 / 32 / 29

So while they did show a 4 mpg difference for strictly "in town" driving, their overall mileage only differed by 1 mpg, and there was no difference for their 150 mile trip.

I am sure if you are a person who accelerates flat out no matter what the situation, the V6 will return poorer economy. However, if you drive the same no matter which engine, I don't think you will se much difference. I was unimpressed with the fuel economy of my SO's 2007 RAV4 four cylinder. On the other hand I thought the performance was acceptable if unspectacular.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Well I said that backwards....I should have said "So while they did show a 4 mpg difference for strictly "highway" driving......

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White