Camry Hybrid may appear in December according to dealer.

Was at the local Toyota dealer yesterday. The salesman said they had a morning sales meeting and were told the Camry Hybrid may show up on dealer lots as early as December with the probability window between Dec. to March.

Guesstimates the mileage to be around City Mileage: 39-37 mpg and Hwy Mileage: 36-33 mpg based on the engine from the 5,500 pound Highlander sitting on the lot which had City Mileage: 31 mpg Hwy Mileage: 27 mpg on the window. Had three of those sitting on the lot. All had moonroofs, but only one had the navigation and leather interior and the price was over $40K.

Of course, this is speculation from the dealer's salesman as he based it on the V-6 3.3L engine in the Highlander (it's lot sticker was about $38,000 and $41,000 depending on the package: i.e. leather and GPS system). He was guessing the Camry would be approximately in the $26-$29K price range. He said it may debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in October.

Time will tell.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

You'd have to drive it a million miles to make up what little you saved on gas. At leaset the Prius has a unique style that's please but looks ecco.

Reply to
Wolfgang

So I'm wondering how difficult it would be to stick one of those new hybrid engines into my old Camry LE wagon ?

Reply to
Eunoia Eigensinn

I doubt they would base the hybrid engine on the six cylinder in an economy car. A small four cylinder would suffice. Those mileage numbers would not be very good for a camry as I get over 30 on the highway maybe 23 in the city. Plus camry under the hood would be too small to fit an electric motor and a engine larger than a small 4 cylinder.

Reply to
Rob