2004 RX 330 vs. 2006 RX400h vs. 2008 Highlander Hybrid

We have an AWD 2004 RX330 with 32,000 miles on it. My wife gets about 17 mpg (regular gas) on it in suburban style commuting and we just took it to the Lexus dealer for some minor service and it got 27 mpg with the cruise set to

65 mph. Not bad for a big lump like that when you consider I get 20 mpg/35 mpg city/highway with an E46 BMW 330i manual under similar conditions.

There was a used 2006 RX400h (I think AWD) on the used lot when we were at the dealer. 36000 miles. I took a test drive, mostly because I had never driven a hybrid and was curious. It was in most ways like our 2004 RX330, but the driving experience was quite different, of course. The silent electric start up was very neat and it seemed stronger. The transmission (CVT) was much nicer than the conventional auto in our car. It actually seemed more refined than the RX330. We liked it a lot. They are asking high

30's for it.

I have looked at mileage numbers in CR and they rate the RX400h at 16/29 city/highway. The RX350 is rated 13/26. The relatively poor numbers for the hybrid in city use are shocking since the EPA estimates are 31/27 and 19/24 for hybrid and RX350, respectively.

I am toying with the idea of a trade (or maybe getting a $40,000 Highlander hybrid), but if the CR city numbers are correct, even in a relative sense, that would be pointless. Better off keeping what we have a getting Prius as an add-on.

Any opinions by RX400h owners?

- GRL

Reply to
nopcbs

We test drove an RX400h a couple of weeks ago and the mpg reading also indicated 21mpg average.

When I did some research on the Internet, I found that many, if not all, the RX400h owners indicated the same problem. The EPA estimates aren't even close. Most of the postings, although positive about it's power, complained that it just wasn't worth the cost for a couple mpg over the standard 350. The price difference will pay for a LOT of fillups.

And you're right, the 400h *is* more powerful and has *great* accelleration but it certainly isn't worth the pretty large price difference between it and it's sister RX350.

We opted for the Camry hybrid. It's a *really* nice car with 37 (or better) mpg for combined city/highway. If you're looking for an SUV hybrid, the Highlander might be a better bet but I don't *think* it gets much better mpg than the 400h (and I'm too lazy to check) but it most certainly is less expensive.

Reply to
01dyna