Camry not starting with strange noise

When I turn the ignition in my 96 Camry I get a continuous triggering noise as long as the key is turned. The car won't start and the noise is like that of a toy machine gun when firing. I don't know if this could be caused by a dead battery but I did not want to jump-start the car until I got some of your advice. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

ipo

Reply to
ipo

Check your battery terminals and make sure they are tight.

Next, check the battery voltage under load (or jump start with a known good battery).

It is possible that you have a starter solenoid problem, but I doubt it.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

That chattering noise is the spring-loaded solenoid plunger trying to operate, but because the voltage is weak the plunger flys forward simultaneously engaging the starter-pinion with the flywheel-ringgear and bridging the actual startermotor's run-contacts. This then places amuch larger load on the supply volts which drop-off in level which inturn causes the solenoid to release,...then the whole cycle starts again giving that repeated clicking.

Its either the battery or its connections usually.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I had this problem a few weeks ago. It is the battery.

Reply to
badgolferman

Thank you very much for your feedback. Vey much appreciated. Cleaning the battery connections did not help but the car did jump start. I also just learned that the battery is the original one from '96. Should buy a new one? Thanks again ipo

Reply to
ipo

Wow, that is great life for an OEM battery!

You are overdue for a replacement. FYI, I use the Sears Diehard Weatherhandler series, a mid-priced battery that has given me excellent service. YMMV.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

That is terrific life for an OEM (or any) car battery. Generally, you can figure on about four years, so you got twice the "normal" battery life.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2