Starting Problem - 96 Camry

Got a 96 Camry with 240K that today refused to start for the first time.

Just repetitive clicking when you turn the key. Battery still has full voltage.

Thinking maybe it is the starter or ignition switch.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

The Duke

Reply to
The Duke

Try replacing the contacts in the solenoid - those are the high wear item in the starter, and if your battery and cables are good I'd do that first. Relatively inexpensive and commonly replaced item. They wear because they take the full amperage of the battery during starting.

Reply to
Daniel

Same thing happened to me a month ago. But a few months earlier I saw the contacts on plug terminals had corroded when I was replacing turn signal lights, so having an idea the starter switch wires might be corroded I shook the wiring harness. Then knowing selenoids can stick, I then hit the starter with a hammer, it started!,Oh well, it still is fine. You could have many simple things wrong like poor conections or a bad starter or selenoid, or battery. Unless you do a load test you wont know if the battery is good, and a starter amp draw test will indicate if the starter is worn and pulling to much juice. Id start with the battery, try a good one, jump it, if it starts its the battery. Then try the hammer, or a piece of wood to hit it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thx

I will give it a try.

Reply to
The Duke

It's probably the alternator in it, the battery probably will start to drain very soon or you might be right about the starter or ignition switch being the problem

Christian

Reply to
Christian Boyland