cv shaft falling out on 94 camry

has anyone ever had a problem with a cv shaft slippin out of the trans. on their camry? a few months ago, i had both of my cv shafts replaced on my 94 toyota camry w/ 2.2 L 4-cylinder and auto transmission, startin with the passanger side, then a few weeks later, the drivers side. the passanger side one has not had any problems, however, when i had the drivers side one replaced, i was bringing it home and the cv shaft fell out a few blocks from my mechanics house. he put it back in and apologized, sayin he must've just not put it in all the way.

after that it was fine until about 3 weeks ago, i went to pull out of a driveway from an upward incline, as i went to take off, the same thing happened. he fixed it for free again and it was fine until a few days ago, it fell out as i was driving through the parkin lot of my work. so after gettin it to my mechanics house, he put it back in......again.......but it fell out while i was in his neighborhood.....again.......

i have talked to him and few other mechanics that have told me that there is really not many ways the cv joint installation can go wrong, the shaft is either in or it isnt. and a few have told me different theories as to what is could be, several of them havin the same theories. the first one is that the shaft is defective, and bein that it was purchased at autozone, i dont doubt it one bit. another theory is that bein my car was manufactured after the middle of the year(mine was man. in 08/94) the transmission may be a 95 transmission.

those theories all make sense. the theory that was given to me that i am hopin against is that the gear/gears that hold the cv joint in and turn it in the transmission may be worn out, that would be why it keeps fallin out. but i do not beleive this is the problem, simply because the old cv joint that was worn out never fell out, it only started happening as soon as the new one was put in. this leads me to beleive the problem is a defective/incompatable part, and not my car. any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
mike

Yeah, I've removed and installed hundreds of axles, and I can't think of how one can "fall out" unless there is some major problem with the diff. suspension, or an axle that is the wrong size.

Reply to
qslim

That situation is truly bizzare. There are axial forces on the drive-shaft (pulling forces) as the suspension moves verticaly while the car traverses bumps,..but the trunnion on each axle(or driveshaft) is supposed to "trombone" allowing for this axial movement. Now the trunnions should be very free,..if it was not, the axle could withdraw from the transmission,...but it usually is firmly held in the trans by an expanding snap-ring which clicks into place once the axle is all the way into the transmission. These rings may not have been replaced or have been damaged during any work on the axles.

This mechanic sounds like he is not the best by any analysis. Talk to a different mechanic.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

You need a mechanic not a hack that works on cars at home

Reply to
m Ransley

cool, thanks you guys for all input, the problem has been resolved, auto zone sold me a defective cv shaft. it ll be fixed tommorrow. thank you all again.

Reply to
mike

Reply to
ROBERT GERRODETTE