Delayed Starts

I have a 2001 Toyota Camry with 103000 miles on it. I have changed the battery twice in the life time of the car and most recently two years ago.

Lately I have been experiencing what I can only call "delayed" starts. I crank up the engine and it whirls before starting. On two occasions its started, stalled and shutdown. I wait and crank up again.

The car recently passed inspection and I have no reason to think theres a problem here.

Could it be the battery? I should break out a DMM and check it out Could it be the alternator? How much do alternators run $$$ wize?

Reply to
Aldorus

Do you mean you keep cranking and then it starts? Or do you mean you let go of the key and the engine whirls a brief while and then starts?

Most likely the first case? When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? I think that year uses small, wimpy fuel filter by the air filter housing? When was it changed last? Have you cleaned the idle air valve (IAC) and throttle body? In other words, is the engine in general kept tuned up?

You may be close to needing new alternator brush assembly, $12.44+shipping:

Fuel filter:
You can google on cleaning camry IAC, a pretty infamous problem.

Reply to
john