Driveaxle replacement blues

Hi. I'm in the midst of replacing the left and righthand driveaxles in my wifes

93 Camry with 2.2L engine, no ABS. Left side went fine, no problems, but the right side is making me want to throw things......there is a carrier bearing attached to the driveaxle that is inside of the motor mount bracket, and the bearing race is seized into this bracket.......I'm faced with having to remove the mount to work on this thing on the bench, but room is tight and I'm having trouble getting to the top nut on the motor mount, for one, and it looks like I'll have to cut the intermediate shaft to get it all apart. Anyone gone thru this before? I'd appreciate any ideas anyone might have, the manual I have, a Haine's, says that to remove this shaft you simply remove the bearing retainer bolt, then a snapring, then grasp the shaft and pull.......I have to laugh or I'd start throwing stuff. Help?

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Ran into the same exact problem several years ago. Driver's side axle came out within 5 minutes of removing the tire. Passenger side took much longer. I even have the same Haines manual you have.

I used a come along and a steel tube braced against the frame to pull the axle out. I wrapped the cable around the driveaxle with chains, put the hook over the end of the tubing and started cranking. Pop! and here she came. I had to buy another carrier bearing becuase it got bent a little from all the beating it took. Talked to the Toyota service guys who said this sticking problem is commonplace, said they usually put a torch to the bearing to pop it free. If this doesn't work, they only replace teh outer end, which is where the rubber boots break down. Good luck.

wifes

bracket,

having

and