Hacking the 2007 Camry

Does anyone know how to customize some features of the 2007 Camry, like the behavior of the headlights when you turn off the engine (normally, they stay on for a fixed amount of time after all of the doors and trunk are closed), the beeps that sound when you arm or disarm the alarm with the remote, the "Welcome to Camry" message that appears on the radio LCD, etc. I'm sure all of these things are customizable, but I'm not sure if some extra piece of hardware is necessary to get to them.

Reply to
Googol

I'm not sure how they did this on the new cars. I know on the old ones they used a capacitor to hold up the voltage to the HL relay, and when the cap drained, the HL's went out. I'm sure now it's controlled another way, probably in the "relay integration" circuit that costs about $200 to replace...

Nor am I sure how to turn on/off the beeps. Sorry for not being too helpful here...

But, the info on changing the radio greeting should be in the radio handbook that came with the car. If I can dig them up (and if you have a PIONEER head unit) the instructions should be the same.

I changed my Scion tC at first to say "Scion" in Japanese (built-in), and then settled on "Turn Me UP!" (it's customizable up to 16 characters or so...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Toyotas factory scan tool will bring up a host of options for customization. If you ask politely the next time you go in for service to the dealer, you should be able to get a few minutes with a tech to go through all the menus.

Reply to
qslim

Does the manual say anything? Because on VWs and other newer Bosch computer controlled cars you can select all these from a menu in the status display. Including whether to have day-time running lights, the number of times the turn signal blinks when you lightly tap it, unlocking all doors with one or two presses of the remote, etc.

Toyota uses electronics made by Fujitsu-Ten. So maybe their web site can tell a few stories. Dunno.

Reply to
johngdole