Ignition is jammed key wont move inside

Hi, I have a 94 toyota camry. Everything was working fine untill today afternoon. The key got stuck in the ignition and wouldn't move. I was finally able to remove the key, however, the ignition would not turn at all. I know the key is fine. I also tried using 2 spare keys and an original Toyota camry key. No luck :(. What sort of solution may I be looking at? Would I have to change the ignition? Is it totally ruined? How much cost would I be looking at, if I were to change the ignition?

Thanks, Shashank

Reply to
bhides

Sounds like one or two of the little tabs that are used for keying the lock are worn. A locksmith can do this for ~$50, a new lock will be ~$100. Call the locksmith!

Reply to
hachiroku

Before you do, I suggest using a bit of lubrication first. It's a long-shot but worth a try. Don't use too much or it'll drip everywhere. Don't use WD-40 as that is not lubrication.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Use some PB Blaster spray in the ignition, let it sit, try again. I had a door lock that pretty much stopped working but a shot of this stuff made it like new by the next day.

Reply to
Rog

was

turn at

the

at, if

Neil McMullen Please reply to Group as my email is fake.

Reply to
abuse

I don't think the ignition is ruined. The ignition key is turning a mechanical not electrical/electronic mechanism. Another thing to try is graphite powder. Just squirt a little into the keyway and put the key back in and out a few times. The graphite powder doesn't gum up the works like WD40 or other lubricants. Replacing the ignition key 'barrel' is not too big a job, but does involve removing the shear bolts that retain the mechanism to the steering wheel shaft. Not a big job but fiddly. Also you can keep the original keys as a locksmith can key the barrel to your key.

Reply to
Shydog

Absolutely the best lock lube I've found is made by or for Ford. It's a lube and penetrant combined, in an aerosol can, available at Ford dealers and not too expensive. It is a good annual maintenance item, I use it in the fall every year. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Thanks, I will try and use PB Blaster!! I should be able to get it at Walmart/NAPA right?

Thanks, Shashank

PS: Thank you all for your responses!! I will summarize.

Reply to
bhides

Is there a common name for this lube? Would NAPA/Auto Zone/OReilly carry it?

Thanks, Shashank

Reply to
bhides

Not that I know of. It must be proprietary to Ford as that' the only place I've found anything close. Works like magic on most stuck lock cylinder pins, although some pins will get barbed or bent and the lube may not work. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

SOLVED...Hurray!! Ok, The problem was with the lock itself. I called TOYOTA dealer on some pricing information but they would have charged some $200-$300. Next, I called a local locksmith. He had worked (and fixed) with ignition locks before. The lock has a couple of levers that work in pairs. One of these pairs had fallen over and blocked the key from moving at all. The locksmith repaired it and charged me $50 ! For future reference, if any ignition lock seems jammed, call the local locksmith, unless you know how to pick locks ;) Thanks all for the advice. Shashank

Reply to
bhides

So. uh, do I get some kind of prize? I didn't hit what was wrong, but I

*did* say call a locksmith, and it would cost $50!!! At least let me on Stump the Chumps on CarTalk!!! ;)
Reply to
hachiroku