Ignition timing, 7M-GE (No, not a Camry...)(Qslim/MDT?)

OK. Did my plugs, wires etc back in January. Car was running OK, passed Fed emissions with high NOx. Decided to check the timing. Shorted E1&T and hit it with the light. It was way advanced, so I reset the timing to

10DBTDC just like the manual says. Removed the jumper from E1-T and the timing stayed exactly the same. This leads me to one of two conclusions: The advance isn't working (backed up by the higher than usual NOx readings) or The advance is ALWAYS on.

Suggestions/Advice welcome! I check the vacuum routing according to the hood, everything looks OK. What else should I be guessin..er, looking for? ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey man. When you say that the timing stays the same, are you saying that it doesn't advance at all, even when the engine is loaded or reved?

Reply to
qslim

Actually, I posted this same question at supras.com (we post by e-mail) and got a response telling me to pull the EFI fuse.

I've tried it with my 22RE, my 4A-GE and a couple other engines...it

*NEVER* works...

Except this time. When I reinstalled the fuse, installed the jumper and fired it up, the idles dropped to about 700 RPM and the timing was *WAY* retarded! Reset to 10 BTDC and the thing runs like new!

It is the first time I have EVER had pulling the fuse actually *DO* something!

But, the idle is a little *TOO* low (the auto trans doesn't 'catch' properly now) and advancing the timing over 12 or so makes the car stumble...

Aw, Hottie Milka Duno just crashed... :(

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hey man. When you say that the timing doesn't change at all, do you mean that even when the engine is loaded or revved there is no advance? If that were the case the engine would be tripping all over itself, like a stuttering mumbling **** (just watched goodfellas).

Reply to
qslim