Increase oil "Weight" in old cars?

Good point.

My older brother discovered the same thing you did. His 91 Cressida was using a quart of oil every 3k miles. He was using synthetic oil. I suggested for him to switch to natural oil. He tried it and found that his car was no longer using a drop. Interesting, eh?

Reply to
Viperkiller

Lucas, Motor Honey, STP, Motor Medic ... all the same thing. A thickening agent. If that's the path you wish to travel, I would opt for a single grade oil, ie 30wt or 40wt.

--

- Philip

M. Hamill wrote:

Reply to
Philip

I won't take a position on the debate but pose a question.

I have an old Camry with about 196,000 miles on it, and it seems to burn a quart about every 1500 miles. A mechanic recommended that on my next oil change, I put in a quart of what he called "Lucas"; he said that if I did, afterward my Camry wouldn't burn as much oil. Now, I'm skeptical, because I figured the reason why the car burns as much oil as it does is that with mileage, the clearance between the piston rings and cylinders has grown

- so I don't understand how such a product would work. Any feedback?

------------------- Consensus is limited on this subject, and my view may be in the minority here, but works for me. I like the Lucas products. It is unlikely the mechanic would make significant extra profit from them. Your mechanic probably recommended the products because he's seen them work. I have also had very good results. That'a the simple answer.

------------------ How does the product work? It clings to engine surfaces. If you add it at 20%, it does not significantly alter the viscosity or thickness of the oil at operating temperature. I am always reluctant to use "high mileage oils" that may contain solvents that swell the engine seals, and have not had good results with STP which also had sanctions placed against it by the FTC. The Lucas products are pure petroleum without solvents or particulates like PFTE.

Reply to
Daniel

riding

it

Only

show

And that is one of the anomalies with synthetic oil. I also found that even tho the viscosity versus temp index was similar to the dyno oil I had used in a Ford V8, the syntheic oil had to be drained out as bearing noise was evident (rod-bearings). It's a different story in an engine which is in good condition or new. In that case I would use synthetic oil for as long as the engine was in good condition.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Agreement is with the fact that one should not increase the viscosity of his oil unless th environment it is operated in is one tha requires it. Philip, I still strongly recommend against it. The "high mileage" oils are in my opinion, only snake oil. This is only my "uniformed opinion" as I have never used High mileage oil, nor do I have any intention of doing so. I dostill stand by my discussed agrrement with, as stated before, staying away from changing to a higher viscosity. That pretty much includes any oil that is of higher viscosity now doesn't it?

Glad I could clear that up for you sir.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

You did a mediocre job of saying nothing. The two significant differences in "High Mileage" oils is their inclusion of 10w-40 weight and the older SF/SG/SH ratings which had higher levels of ZDDP (zinc) for more dry start scuff protection. So ... as you can see, increased oil clearances justifies some viscosity increase from the extraordinarily thin oils specified for the engine from when it was new.

--

    - Philip
Reply to

Phil,

Why not just explain it pleasantly instead of insulting him? I know you can manage it, I've seen you do so. Go on.....give it a go.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Geoff ... I'm not running a popularity campaign. And I'm not even asking you to KMA. LOL

--

- Philip

Geoff wrote:

Reply to
Philip

Thanks Dr. Phil. If you don't like it, Then just say so. I won't go to the painstaking measure for you to dispute anything, because I have been there before with You. Specifically YOU. Not anyone else on this group spends as much time fanning the flames of useless fires..........at least with me. This is the second time I have had a stated opinion that made you just so uncomfortable with your manliness that you have to push , and push and push. Just say that you know more than I am offering up.

Explain it well, so that no one can forget that you have all the answers that they need. And let it be known that no ones experiences but yours (albeit, a small piece of the experiences in the world) are important. I am fine with that.

I offered up an opinion with a mild explanation, and an experience in another entry, for the guy/girl/kid, person............that asked about the oil issue that perplexed them,.................It wasn't you that was perplexed by this obviously...............You , know everything , it seems and are more than willing to go to great lengths to belittle others for their "incomplete" opinions..................

Now, I am going to state, in my own words again how I feel about the viscosity issue raised by the original poster.

I do not recommend that you raise the viscosity of the oil in your engine for any reason other than that stated by the manufacturer of the engine. That means, NONE. Not even if Dr. Phil says it's OK.

I am stating this as my OPINION. It should be noted that if there is a varying opinion on this subject, one may wish to offer it to the original poster. I wish to offer a full refund of the amount paid for my opinion if it does not suit the reader. A FULL REFUND.

Dr. Phil states that I can see, that increased oil clearances justifies some viscosity increase from the extraordinarily thin oils specified for the engine from when it was new. ( see entry copied below)

DR. Phil is wrong. I do not see. ANY change in viscosity shall be done without the manufacturers blessing. IN or OUT of warranty. It's your car though, so do what YOU feel is good for you. You are the person in charge of your vehicle. Not me, not Philip, not M.Ransley, or anyone else. ( Ransley,.......I just remember your name because I see it in more than one group, no intention to implicate or defame,.......ok? just throwing in another name that is verifiable)

----End of nothing for this entry.----

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

The only germain portion of your post is the passage: "DR. Phil is wrong. I do not see. ANY change in viscosity shall be done without the manufacturers blessing. IN or OUT of warranty."

Warranty is irrelevant.

Oil clearances and oil viscosity are inseparably related. I won't stoop to making personal remarks or mockery regarding you or your comprehension ... like you do of me.

--

- Philip

MUADIB® wrote:

Reply to
Philip
*Sigh* It was only a suggestion Phil. OK, whatever.

While we are at it then, it's "deviating" not "diviating"

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Really? Gee thanks Philip. I am pleased that you are so above it all.