Mysterious Dash Light

I have a '99 XLE V6 with the following mysterious light indication yesterday, I didn't get any manuals with it and wonder if anyone has experienced the same problem.

The emergency brake indicator came on after I started driving yesterday, but then it would intermittently go out. After dinner this light seemed to only come on when I had my foot on the brake and go out when I lifted my foot off the brake. I bought the car 3 years ago, and the brakes haven't been checked -- could this light be used as a low brake pad indicator like the so called brake squealers?

The weather yesterday was quite cold and wet (snow) and I thought that maybe the emergency brake cable could have got frozen from slush being thrown up underneath -- is that common? I never experienced anything like this the past two winters.

Reply to
Father Guido

Just a guess, but have you checked your brake fluid reservoir under the hood, and is it full? low brake fluid triggers a dashboard light to go in.

Reply to
mack

Yes, it could be low brake fluid or a failing master cylinder.

Reply to
mj

Or just well worn brake pads.

Reply to
Stubby

The switch for the e-brake could be out of adjustment. As far as it indicating other problems in the braking system, does you manual say this is another function of that light?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I dont know exactly for the Camry, but on some cars this could mean that your brake light is dead. Step on your brakes and ask someone to look at the rear end to see if some bulbs are out.

Reply to
EdV

And, I believe the error light is only cleared when the ignition is turned on. So, even if the condition causing the error goes away, the light will not go out.

Reply to
Stubby

Excellent suggestions folks. I will check the bulbs and master cylinder level first thing in the morning.

Thanks again,

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

Do not check the manual.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would if I had one, read my original post.

Reply to
Father Guido

Now you have a manual:

JoeSpareBedroom

You're right -- I do have a manual!

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Father Guido

Did it offer any clues about what the hell that light is talking about?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It did! I quote from the 'Owners Manual' section.

------------------------------ (a) Brake System Warning Light This light has the following functions: Parking brake reminder If this light is on, make sure the parking brake is fully released. The light should go off. Low brake fluid level warning If this light comes on and stays on while you are driving, slow down and pull off the road. Then stop the vehicle carefully. Remember that stopping distance and pedal effort may be increased. There may be a problem somewhere in the brake system. Check the fluid level of the see? through reservoir. To make sure the parking brake has not caused the warning light to come on, check to see that the parking brake is fully released. If the brake fluid level is low... At a safe place, test your brakes by starting and stopping.

If you judge that the brakes still work adequately, drive cautiously to your nearest dealer or shop for repairs.

If the brakes are not working, have the vehicle towed in for repairs. (For towing information, see Part 4.)

-------------------------- As far as I can tell, the fluid level is normal, the emergency brake seems to be fully released (I very seldom use it), and the brakes appear to work fine as well, so maybe the emergency brake release needs adjustment. I'll ask the dealer to check next time I have an oil change which should be in the near future.

Thanks again for the link. I d/l the entire set of files for future reference.

Thanks again.

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

I was about to suggest looking under the dash near your e-brake thing, to see if the electrical switch could just be moved a bit, but your e-brake's on the console, right? I'm guessing, but unless Toyota is hiring amateur engineers from GM, Ford & Chrysler, I can't imagine them putting the indicator switch under the car where it would get bathed in water and road salt. Check the manual again. If your console's not too much of a pain to get into, this could be a very easy repair. Your wife will think you're a total hero, at least for a day or two.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The e-brake is on the console. I checke dunder the hood and everything appeared OK there. Funny, but today the light never came on once -- but then the weather warmed up today as well, so maybe there is/was something slightly frozen, or jammed. Anyway I have the manuals (thanks again) and I'll see what happens in a few days when the weather cools down again. Thanks for your help!

Norm

Reply to
Father Guido

I have a 2000 Camry with the same problem. It has recently been below freezing, and even below zero here in Colorado. My brake light came on and goes off and on now that it is cold, but I never had the problem when it was warm. I have checked the fluid level, parking brake, and tail lights (with brake pedal applied), and all are in proper condition. Any suggestions? What does the cold have to do with it?

Reply to
brotherrip

Reply to
Father Guido

I don't think this would happen unless the rotors were warped enough to push the pads way back on each rotation. Disk brakes are self adjusting. Now the rear drum brakes, if present and if not self-adjusting properly, could act just as you describe...

Reply to
mj