need tips on removing radio dash panel on a 1999 Camry

Is there a special way to remove the radio dash panel on my 1999 Camry so that I can replace the pocket with a CD player? I found a site that said to remove the ash tray then pull firmly on the bottom of the plastic dash panel. I tried that but it won't come off, and I'm afraid to crack it. Help!

Reply to
mlaviolette

Pull the three Heat/Temp/Air knobs off with your fingers. Behind one of them is a Phillips screw. Then all should pop off.

--

   ~Philip.
Reply to

The narrow trim that goes around the whole thing needs to be popped off with a wide blade screwdriver. Carefully insert the blade between the trim and the soft dash near the top, preferably using paper or cloth to avoid marking the dash. It snaps on in about 4 places. The astray should be pulled out but there is no need to do anything to the heater to change the stereo (although some folks do change the light bulbs while everything is off.)

Reply to
NNTP

The combination of using the screwdriver and carefully pulling very hard did it. Thanks!

Reply to
mlaviolette

For future reference, this is a good site for information on older car stereo installation.

Also, if you go to

and look under cellular phone mounts, you're likely to find info on how to remove bezels for most vehicles.

Gary

Reply to
Garys2