Repair Manual - Which one ?

Can some one shed some light on this 1998 Toyota Camry Repair Manual.

Repair Manual "VOL 2 ENG, BODY, CHASSIS" RM589U2 (By Toyota) $ 118.74

How do you compare this with the Haynes Manual. Is it worth the price? Does it have better/Clear instructions compared to the other manuals.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
tsofco

For about $50-75 you can get a Bentley(?) that covers the whole car, is 10 times better than the Haynes and doesn't assume you already know the car inside out like the Toyota.

Reply to
hachiroku

Yeah if you're going to get that involved in repairs - but there are 2-3 volumes. Check ebay you should be able to get the complete set for $50-75.

Reply to
Wolfgang

The Toyota manual definitely has content over Haynes/Chiltons (I've always prefered Chiltons over Haynes). The info contained in that manual is very detailed and accurate. However, they are designed with the thought that those using them are most likely professional techs who already have a solid grasp on the car and its processes. You will not find any broad descriptions or theory discussed in the FM. One thing that is nice about Chiltons is that every section or repair process has a few basics about the system that is laid out. Also, the book you mantioned has no diagnostic processes in it, only instructions for removing/rebuilding components. Diagnostics makes up all of Vol 1. So, if you need a book for basic maintenance & repair, grab a Chilton for $25. Save a hundred bucks for your next parts bill.

Reply to
qslim

Way better than Haynes or Chiltons. Much more detailed. Sometimes these turn up used on Ebay for a lot less.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

I got the factory service manual and as the writer indicated, it is sometimes difficult to figure out what really needs to be done. I supplement it with Haynes.

What really has helped me too is to purchase a series of haynes manuals that discuss topics more generally - not specific to any car. For example they have a manual on brakes and a manual on Anti-lock brakes. If you understand the systems that your doing maintenance, that goes a long way.

Although I like the haynes topic manuals I'd be interested in hearing other's suggestions on good books on automotive theory.

Reply to
kiselink

Thanks Guys, for all the information.

I had a Tercel factory Manual and I really liked it. However it was lot cheaper than the Camry manual(s). What I liked about the factory manual is, the clear diagrams.

This site has some good tech articles that I have really enjoyed reading. It is worth a visit.

tsofco

Keep checking eBay. Found some for the Camry quite reasonably priced. Initially, everything I saw was more than I wanted to pay (had no immediate need, and already had the Haynes manual), but then found some I considered reasonable in price. First time I bought the year prior, then when I found the exact year, sold those back and re purchased. I think the net cost for a two volume set for my year was around $50. They were essentially in new condition. The seller had purchased them with the vehicle, but when he sold the car, the buyer had no interest in the factory service manuals, so he put them on eBay. You should get both Volumes. Personally, I find it interesting just to read through them to see how all the systems work. There are diagnostic procedures - trouble shooting the secondary ignition system for example, that you won't find anywhere else. If you plan to do work on your car, the factory manuals are clearly the best. For example, the factory manual shows the valve cover nut torque at 17 ft. lbs. for the top, and 29 ft. lbs for the base of the spark plug tubes screwing into the aluminum head. Recently saw a post where Haynes listed the torque at 33 ft. lbs. and the guy cracked his valve cover. Recently changed the idle control valve. The factory manual gave several related adjustments that were very helpful - and needed adjusting - relating to the throttle body. Haynes does not go into this level of detail.

Reply to
Daniel

Found this via Google:

HTH, davidj92