New Stereo Installed.....Sound Still Not Very Impressive

I had the stock AM/FM cassette player in my '98 Camry replaced with a Pioneer AM/FM CD player yesterday and the sound is little better then when I had with the stock unit. The Pioneer unit puts out 50 W per channel.

Should I install new speakers? Any recommendations for reasonably priced replacements?

Also, how difficult is it to remove the door panels to replace those speakers? I have a Haynes manual, so it should help me with that, but are there any things I should look out for when attempting to do this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Paul G.

Paul G. wrote:

I replaced the stock unit with an Alpine CDE9843, AM FM CD MP3 player for $129.99 from Crutchfield including shipping cost and the sound is excellent. Only problem - my teenage son always asks to play his CDs since they sound so good in the car. One of the factors that influenced my decision was reading a number of reviewers commenting how great the unit sounded with their stock speakers. I agree. I'm almost always listening to a CD while driving the sound is quite good and can be adjusted in numerous ways. They seem fairly knowledgeable at Crutchfield and I don't know if it was salesman's "puffery" or not, but when I placed the order by phone he said Alpine had some of the best sounding units. Seemed to me all the Alpines were similar for THD (total harmonic distortion) and others specifications, the primary difference being in the extra features offered, so I just chose the least expensive with MP3 capability. Don't know if the stock speakers in the 1994 Camry are better than the '98, but I noticed those in the rear deck have soldered connections not pressed on connectors, and a foam ring at the edge of the speaker cone which I would have thought is a premium feature. Don't know if it made a difference, but I used the clear instructions provided and did my own installation carefully soldering every wire connection to insure the best electrical contacts. You might try returning or exchanging the Pioneer for an Alpine since you just got it yesterday.

Reply to
Daniel

Reply to
BigJim

The speakers are what you hear; there's a wide variety of "ears." Inexpensive stuff sounds OK to many, many will not appreciate the sound until some high-end speakers are installed.

You really don't need more than ~35w/channel in an auto system to drive the speakers, so don't fall for the massive head-end watts systems.

If possible, audition the various speakers at a store with a display. You might have to ask for help as these are usually broken and screwed up by the constant twiddling by customers.

I put a Pioneer 35w head in my 2002, then added ~$100 Alpine 6x9s on the rear deck and some decent ~$50 tweeters in the 3-inchers in the dash. I left the door speakers stock. Huge difference! Much, much clearer in the lows and highs and it makes the windows rattle and my ears hurt long before I get anywhere near max volume....

YMMV, good luck.

Reply to
Big Kahuna

I installed a Kenwood KDC-MPV7019 unit in my '98 Camry in place of the factory piece of crap and the sound is 100% better - factory speakers and all. I've even had comments about the great quality even at the highest output levels. Are you sure it's installed correctly and have you checked to be sure one or more of your speakers aren't cracked or damaged?

HJS

Reply to
Homer S.

You may want to visit local audio shops to try out the different combinations to see if it's worth the additional time and cost. As far as replacement radio/cassette/CD head units I'd go with Alpine. Also check

Paul G. wrote:

Reply to
johngdole