no brake lights on 89 camry

My brake warning light has come on and none of my brake lights are working (normal tail lights work). Bulbs look okay. I read that a common problem is the lamp failure relay. I checked the voltage there and it was 0.1 V when the brakes were off and 12 V when the brakes were pressed. This led me to the conclusion that the brake switch (another common problem) was okay and that most of the circuitry was intact. I read that you can bypass the lamp failure relay (connect green wire to light green and green/red to green/white). I did this but I still have no brake lights. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct way to bypass the relay? Also, does anyone know the exact position of the fuse for the brake lights (why is this not in the manual)? Any other suggestions for what else to check? How do I know if there is a grounding problem?

In desperate need of help. Don't want to get ripped off by mechanic!

Reply to
mona

check wiring cable at trunk hinge for internal breakage

Reply to
Daniel

Also check bulbs, never assume a bulb is good by a visual as they can have a break where you can't see it or sometimes a break is hard to see in a filament.

Reply to
davidj92

I fixed it finally. Thanks for the help!

Mona

Reply to
mona

Mind telling us what the problem was? That way we all learn. davidj92

Reply to
davidj92