o/d troubles

I've a 1990 camry auto the transmission runs perfectly until the temperature gauge in the dash panel reaches normal running temp and simply cuts out of o/d until it cools down again from not driving it.Have no idea what could be wrong!

Reply to
king kong

Try changing the oil and filter

Reply to
m Ransley

hi, yes have done that and there was some improvment it stayed o/d for a longer period when it reached normal running temp. Thank you for your respones

Reply to
king kong

Wnen you chek fluid level do you do it with a hot transmission.

Reply to
m Ransley

====================== Check your temperature sending unit for the electronic engine control management. (possibly a green color cap at the wiring connector near the water outlet from the head - as it is on the next "gneration" Camry) If the engine is running rich (when cold) and running fine, but then doesn't correctly alter the fuel misture at the injectors for warm operation, would create the sypmtoms you describe.

Reply to
Daniel

yep!

Reply to
king kong via CarKB.com

thanx for your input i checked temperature unit seems fine but I have noticed just at the water outlet at the head there is a green plastic thing with 2 small what looks to be vacuum hoses connected to it 1 is broken off could that cause the problem

Reply to
king kong via CarKB.com

============== Is possible. My guess is that is the thermally controlled vacuum switch for the EVAP system that ports vapor to the throttle body when the engine warms. With the broken line, could be just like a large vacuum leak as soon as it opens at operating temperature.

Reply to
Daniel

I'll let you know what happens when i get it fixed.thanxs for your help.

Reply to
king kong via CarKB.com