Platinum plugs for 99 Camry?

My 99 Camry has abuot 62k miles on it. I was thinking of getting the plugs replaced. should it be platinum ? The dealer is asking for $150 for it.

Reply to
Manoj Nair

Plugs are 15$ and 15 minutes work @ 150 $ your a chump. Get someone else to do it yes platinum are worth it but not 150$

Reply to
m Ransley

just replaced the platinum plugs on the

97 camry 4 for $13 each for NGK. The Denso platinums were pretty worn at only 40,000 miles. Gap was much wider than expected on the old ones.
Reply to
ROBMURR

This is a pure ripoff. You can buy the best platinum sparks for less than 30$ at any NAPA or Autozone shop. Installing the sparks is childs play. All you need is a sparkplug adapter - to remove the old plugs and replace it with the new ones. The adapter is available for less than 10$$. Once you have this stuff ready, you can replace the sparks in less than an hour and would cost you max $40.

Frankly speaking, you do not need new sparks unless if your car is giving you any ignition problems. Just remove the old ones, check the arcs (if damaged replace all four plugs or six in case of V6). You can buy a calibrated brass ring at any autozone to check the wearing of your sparks. If the arcs seems allright just clean them and reinstall them.

BTW are you Debo Nair from SPCE??

Reply to
Harry

For DIY use a compressor to blow out the area, or you could ruin a cilinder. A torque wrench is also smart, to tight Aluminum is stripped to loose they leak. I just replaced my plugs they only had 15000, I notice a big difference. I used Bosch 4 platinum. Idle has never been better, no more shake

Reply to
m Ransley

Report back in about 30,000 miles wrt to the Bosch +4s.......was talking with a tech one day and he said they have seen problems with the Bosch +4s after about that mileage interval.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

BTW, if this is a V6, those back plugs are very difficult to replace...the 4 cylinder plugs are very easy.

I would personally use the NGK platinums.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

those Bosch have a tiny electrode in the center that wears down into the center insulator. Read several instances that eventually the center insulator will crack or shatter over time. Nippon Denso or NGK for me...

Reply to
ROBMURR

what is SPCE? Also I have never done this sort of thing on my car. Would autozone provide such service?

Reply to
Manoj Nair

Autozone, normally does not provide installation service (they once did some 6 years ago). However, I have noticed that their staff is helpful and will explain to you the entire installation procedure and if not busy will walk out in the lot and guide you through the procedure. However they will not touch your car due to liability issues.

Reply to
Harry

I also have '99 Camry 4-cyl. Just recently it crossed 80k miles.

At around 60k miles service, I asked the dealer service dept. if the spark plugs need to be changed. The tech said it is not needed and they just did engine power cleaning/tune up. I did notice improvement after this.

At 80K miles I still have original plugs. In the recent long trip I got 35miles/US Gallon mileage. City driving I get ~23mpg

Venkat

Reply to
vk