Re: 94 Camry Oil Leak

=A0 My car is leaking oil. When I drive, and turn on my heating, i can

> smell a little bit of burning oil (a little stronger smell when i'm > going slower, or am slowing down.) I usually takes about 15mins for the > smell to start, and doesn't happen all the time. > > The oil leak is on the front right passenger side. =A0From under the car > the oil comes over the oil pan, where the pan is attached, but I can't > tell if it is the oil pan gasket. > > I took the car to a local mechanic, and was told 1) replace cam seal and > crank seal 2) replace rocker cover gasket and 3) replace oil pan gasket. > Seems to me like that's a little excesive, and they don't know exactly > what's wrong. Any idea on how i can find out what needs to be done? Any > way i can do the repairs myself? Any quick fixes. =A0Thanks.

There are name brand oils that are supposed to swell seals. I would se if bolts are loose. There is flourescent dye that can be put in oil and a special black light used to find a leak. Maybe its simply a valve cover leak.

Reply to
ransley

=========== Do not replace the oil cooler. There is a seal at the base that is replaceable. You need to remove the oil filter to gain access. Then you will see a flange at an angle, secured by a bolt. Unbolt the flange to unscrew to oil cooler and replace the seal. Fortunately, haven't had to do this yet. You can find more detail here:

sure whether you need to remove the water lines. Probably yes.Check the Factory Service Manual for further detail. I use it for allwork on the car. Have found a very few items that needed further help,but generally it leads you right through, step by step. I alwaysreplace the items they call out as non reusable to avoid futureproblems. When installing the oil filter, it is recommended to turn the filter

3/4 turn. I use a cap wrench that fits over the top and painted a line on it with auto touch up paint to make it easier to see the 3/4 turn. I like the Purolator Pure One oil filter. Solid construction, good filtering media, nice base gasket. I used Toyota until they changed the designation and part number to reflect manufacture in the far East, filtering ability didn't seem as good to me after that.
Reply to
Daniel