Re: Intermittent Starter Problem

" another mechanic tapped starter " and it started,,,,,,,, ITS A BAD STARTER ,,, homer, , go back to mechanic and demand New starter, not shit rebuild, and Dont Pay more, sucker..............

Reply to
mark Ransley

Assuming your Camry is like my '97: This is not an unknown problem; I've experienced it. If you don't correct it, you may run into the situation I did - the engine will start, but the starter won't disengage - big trouble.

It's a part inside the starter that my dealer persists in calling the "plunger" (anyone know what it's really called?) If it sticks IN, the starter doesn't turn; if it sticks OUT, the starter runs but doesn't disengage.

The "plunger" can be replaced or adjusted, but the labor is enough that my dealer recommended spending a little more to just replace the whole starter.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

Go to Google Groups, and in the search box enter "starter teeth" (without the quotation marks). Seems there was an issue with the way the starter meshes with the flywheel teeth. Unfortunately the solution is costly. Make sure you're using a starter from Toyota also. An after market rebuild could be your problem. I once replaced three starters under a "lifetime warranty" until I told them to take it back and purchased a starter from the Toyota dealer. Problem solved. But do check the straight cut vs. beveled teeth issue also.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus

Narrow down the search with: beveled starter teeth

Reply to
Philip®

An update.

The problem is now occurring much more frequently so hopefully I will have a fix shortly. Tapping the starter with a hammer used to get me about 20 seconds worth of 'good start time' - meaning I could hit the starter, close the hood, get in the car, turn the key and it would start. Now I'm having to hold the key on 'start' while someone hits the starter to get it going. So this is progress (sort of I guess).

Note: only when the engine is hot do I have to do this. When the engine is cold it starts just fine

It goes back to the shop tomorrow.