Solara 3.3 Cold Start Noise

My wife's Solara has been sitting for 3 days. Went to start today and had a very loud clatter for about 8 seconds then went away. Never heard this before and now the engine is quiet like normal. Outside temps are in the 50's and the oil level is fine. Let it sit for about

5 hours and still no noise. Really concerned though. I assume if there is a problem it would be in the valvetrain ? Would a noise like this occur only once? thanks for any input.
Reply to
tommygaines

A little valvetrain noise is not unusual if the car has been sitting for a while because the oil drains down. How many miles on the car? Where do you get the oil changed and what kind of oil and oil filter are used?

Reply to
Ray O

It is a '05 model that just turned 23k. Serviced at our local Toyota dealer every 5k miles. This car has not had to have one bit of warranty work so I'm really disappointed because the noise was very loud. So I take it that a good guess would be a valvetrain problem? I will let it it sit overnight and as long as possible tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
tommygaines

I wouldn't say that you have a valvetrain problem. The oil will naturally drain down over time, and the longer the car sits, the less oil is remaining in the top end of the engine. As long as the noise goes away quickly, I wouldn't worry.

Reply to
Ray O

I dunnoi, Ray...

If he has the 4 cylinder model, then he has the same 2.4L inline 4 I have in my Scion. I had let my car sit since November (a week or two before Thanksgiving) and started it Thursday. It wasn't the usual valvetrain noise...more of a knocking or rapping...it was a bit scary.

One of the things I am thinking, and I don't know this engine very well, is the chain drive on the valvetrain. I know the 22R had chain tensioners that needed oil pressure to do their job correctly; I don't know if the

2.4 has it, too. But it seemed to me there was also a bit of chain noise in there too.

At any rate, bet your @$$ the car isn't going to sit that long without being started again!!! We're getting a BIG storm after midnight (8-12" of snow) so I think I'll take it out this afternoon before I park it again!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry, too early for me...didn't see the "3.3" in the header...

Reply to
Hachiroku

The lower viscosity oils recommended these days are supposed to flow more easily, so even if they leave a coating to protect the metal, the oil is going to drain down to the pan more quickly than the oil that was in use before, and so the oil has to be circulated to re-fill tensioners and get back to the top end of the engine. I think that for certain engines and in situations where the car is parked at an angle that facilitates oil draining from the top end, startup noise after sitting for longer periods is the cost of using today's energy-saving oils.

Reply to
Ray O

I would make sure you are using a good quality oil filter. Engines that use oil pressure to tension the cam chains (cam and balance shaft chains in this case) are know for making this sort of racket when cheap oil filters are used. A good quality anti-drainback valve in the filter will prevent the oil from draining back out of the chain tensioners. I don't like the Thailand made Toyota replacement filters that are specified for the 2.4L. They use a nitrile anti-drainback valve. The OE filter (made in Japan) uses a silicone anti-drainback valve. The silicone anti-drainback valve is preferred. See

for a comparison. I bought a case of the Toyota OE type filters for my SOs RAV4. My second choice would be the PureOne PL14477 Filter (also on the page I referenced). Ed

Reply to
Ed White

Toyota filters and Castrol Syntec full-synthetic oil!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

As I mentioned, I don't like the Toyota replacement filters (the ones from Thailand). They aren't as bad as a FRAM, but they definitely are not the same level of quality as the Original Equipment Toyota filter that came on the engine (made in Japan). In my opinion they aren't as goood as the Puroplator PureOne or Wix either, but it is your engine. For my SO's car I ordered a case of the Japanese made OE style filters.

I am not a fan of Synthec either. I think it is pushing the definition of "synthetic" to call Syntec a full-synthetic motor oil. I know Castrol is allowed ot make the claim, but I still don't agree. Calling an oil that is just a more highly refined mineral oil syntheic is not legit in my mind. If Syntec was cheap, I'd excuse Castrol for the deception, but last time I checked at AutoZone, Syntec was $6.09 a quart, and Mobil 1 was $6.19. I can't imagine not paying the extra $0.10 to get a true synthetic oil. If a nearly synthetic oil is good enough for you, then there are cheaper choices that are just as good as the Castrol Synthec (in my humble opinion). For my SO's car, I am using Mobil 1 changed when the maintenance light comes on. Probably overkill, but she is worth it :)

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Hmmm...I try to make sure I get the Made In Japan filters.

Interesting you mention Wix. I think you posted a link a while ago, but I can't remember what they said about Wix. As a lot of us know, I used to work at CarQuest. CarQuest used to sell Wix filters in Wix boxes, but now they sell them in CarQuest boxes. Make sure you get the blue/gray boxes. The red boxes aren't Wix filters.

Hmmm...what are you referring to? Syntec *isn't* synthetic oil?!?!?

Reply to
Hachiroku