"Rebuilt engine" after no oil means what??

Hi,

Considering a 1990 V-6 wagon with 105k miles. Owner had the engine rebuilt at 70k after he "lost all the oil after an oil change". Any idea what would this rebuild consist of? I would think if you lost your oil you would lock the crank up and need an completly new engine? I am considering this car for a daily driver and also to pull a 1500 lb boat occasionally down the street to the ramp. Asking price is $1900 and is very ready to sell. He bought the car from his elderly father in law for his children's nanny to drive, and she didn't like to drive, so it has just sat around for a few years and only been driven occasionaly when another car is int he shop. Any tips on what to look for in inspecting greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Pylodictis

Have it checked out compression , plug condition etc, Nobody knows.

Reply to
m Ransley

Has he got any receipts for this rebuild? What shop did it? Are the reputable? If you want a daily driver, I would keep looking. 1500lbs is very heavy for this car. I used to tow a trailer of about

900lbs with the V6 and felt it was near its limit..Sitting around for years has not helped it either.. Look for leaks at the power steering, look for leaks between the motor and transmission, has the trans fluid ever been changed?
Reply to
ROBMURR

The damage sustained after the oil was lost would be substantial. Suffice to say, provided the engine runs well with no more than the light overhead gear noise and that infernal cam and balance shaft gear whine and there are *no* noises which get louder as load increases, the donk should be OK.

Automatics are easy to test for expensive engine noises. Just hold the car with the foot-brake, then apply slight throttle so the engine loads-up. Any engine mechanical noises which appear are not a good sign.

Engines that are shutoff the instant oil-pressure light comes on, can be undamaged, but alas a lot of people, especially older folk who may not have the hearing to hear the bearings pounding, take minutes to shutdown. In this event, as you observed, the crankshaft and rod-bearings will be substantialy overheated and scored,..the rest of the engine would be inspected for damage on a component by component basis.

Then you have the group who have no idea at all, and drive their car till the engine turns into a blob of metal :-)

Jason.

Reply to
Jason James

That would be me... ;>

"Two positives don't make a negative...Yeah, Right..."

Reply to
HachiRoku