replace fuel filter

I need to replace the fuel filter in my 1987 Celica. (I just discovered this newsgroup and am hoping that for fuel filter replacement Camrys and Celicas have much in common.) Is this a big deal (i.e., high pressure lines, etc)? I have the shop manual for my car and can't seem to find anything on the procedure.

Thanks.

Reply to
Richard Catrambone

Not a big deal although the metal hose fitting are very tight --- use a flare wrench so you don't round the sholders off. Disconnect the mounting bracket after the hoses. Oh, remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure. Have a rag (and fire extingusher) handy when you pull the hoses. Hope it isn't hidden like on the 22RE PUs --- argh.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Daniel M. Dreifus

Seems even better than a flare wrench is a crow foot flare wrench that can be used with a ratchet handle and extension. More solid construction - less likely to flex. After letting Kroil soak in for a few days, while I was doing other work on the car, that metal compression fitting came off effortlessly in about two seconds. Purchased the Made in USA, S-K single crow foot wrench from ToolSource.com for that specific purpose. Cost as much as a whole set in cheap import quality, but ever so much nicer to use the good quality tool. I'd been warned about that fitting. The Toyota parts person once told me they sell a lot of fuel lines to replace those damaged, so the cost for the one size high quality tool was worth it for me.

Reply to
Daniel M. Dreifus