Waves in R Passenger Tire in 04 Camry?

Hi,

I just purchased a used Toyota Camry with about 16k miles. As luck would have it, I didn?t notice until a long trip that I could feel a ever so slight vibration in the steering. Didn?t notice any major pulling unless wind related. When I rode as a passenger I could actually hear a sound coming from what sounded like a vibrating tire. I took the car to have tires rotated & balanced yesterday and they said the front passenger tire had waves on the inside of the tire. ( I am not sure what the technical term for that is?) Anyway said the usual cause is the struts going bad although he saw no evidence of that with quick inspection and said shouldn?t be an issue at 16k. Any ideas on what else could cause this? Should I have it aligned? He said none of the other tires seemed that way. Bad tire? I am sure it has the original tires "Goodyear Integritys". I am not interested in spending money if I don?t have to, because my hubby is a little frustrated to have bought a car with problems. Anyone with any help or ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks, JC

Reply to
djeecole

The tires have a warranty from the tire manufacturer so go to Goodyear. Not sure they will buy the waves on the inside of the tire story though. Was this guy superman that he could see in the tire or did he take them all off the rim and compare? The tire could be bad - thread separation or broken cords. Dealer will replace the strut too if its bad but, again, doubt that it is. Why didn't you just mount the spare (which he should have used in the rotation) and use the wavy tire for a spare?

Reply to
Wolfgang

Any chance the car was involved in a accident or fell into a large pot hole before you bought it?

When you rotated tires, did the problem move to the new wheel, or did it stay in the same position?

Was this the dealer or a tire store that told you this about the tires? Make sure the dealer looks for problems in the suspension system or frame that might be causing the problem (assuming that a rebalance does not help).

If you have a full size spare, you might consider using that instead, or possibly buying one new matching tire if the opposite (good) tire is worn too much.

Reply to
Mark A

Belts can break even on new tires with one big hole, I dought it is the suspension at all, just a broken belt, time for a new tire. I just broke one at 26000m. Mine looked fine inside but switching it switched the problem to the other side.

Reply to
m Ransley

Any noise or vibration should be investigated. If the tyre was reported to have rippling, it should be replaced. Those 'waves' can be caused by running the tire severely underinflated causing the belts to separate.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Waves on the inside of the tire? 1. find a new tire company!

If the 'waves' are in the tread area, chances are it is a broken belt (which, from reading your description is what it sounds like). REPLACE THE TIRE...NOW!!!! This is dangerous. It leads to tread separation and the ire virtually disintegrating. Need I tell you what happens if this happens at highway speed?

If it is on the sidewall, this is a seam. When viewed from outside, it should look like a dent in the sidewall (a dent going IN that is) This is normal. What you are describing sounds like a broken belt to me.You also mentioned a shimmying (at low speeds it will feel like a throb). As I said, if they let you out of the tire company like this, find someone else!!!

Reply to
hachiroku