Suggestions on Replacement Axles

Time to replace the axles on my 1996 Camry, the boots have blown out. I'm going to replace the axles instead of just the boot since the labor cost will probably offset the part cost. So, I'm looking for opinions on where to get the axles. OE vs aftermarket. What do you think?

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

== Have heard raxles.com has good axles, but when it came time to replace mine, I used the Toyota remanufactured axles for several reasons. I paid around $132 ea. which I consider reasonable. Like all Toyota remanufactured parts, all items subject to wear are replaced with factory new components. I read a description of the remanufactured axles on the parts counter

- they guaranteed their axles superior, including balancing, new bearings, special temperature resistant thermoplastic boots, correct clamps, remachined splines to ensure no binding, factory correct grease, etc. Since I was able to install my own axles, total cost was reasonable. I would recommend also replacing the "non reusable" parts associated with the axles, the bolt that clamps the passenger side bearing in place (US version), the locking clip next to the bearing, and the axle and tie rod end cotter pins. There's a secret to removing the driver side axle. If you install your own, let me know, and will describe later. If you keep the car all Toyota, it is amazing how well they can run. I also found I needed to replace the lower control arms and ball joints, but now the car is smooth under acceleration at very high speeds.

Reply to
Daniel

Hi, I would like to know the secret to replace the drivers side axle since I have never attempted this repair and would like general instructions for axle change also and where did you get the reman axles from?? Thnx

Reply to
PaulT

== I use Toyota parts.

Reply to