Axle versus CV boot replacement

I am in dire need of replacing the inner CV boots on my 1994 4runner. At 158,000 miles, would it be better to just replace the entire axle unit or just the CV boots? The estimated CV boots replacement time is 7 hours. Thoughts?

Reply to
donnoble

I went through this quite often on a mid-90's Subaru I owned.

While the make/model is different, the idea was this:

Replacement boot: Higher labor costs to drop the axle, clean the cage/bearings, replace the boot. Lower part cost.

Replacement axle: Higher part cost and lower labor cost with clean boot/bearings/cage.

Best I can recall, it was (then) nearly a wash or so close in cost that I almost always had the enter axle replaced.

hth

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

Depends to on how you do it too (if you farm it out or not) they are not hard to change axles and with 158 K on them I would replace tha axles, I bought a set for a Toyota Camary two years ago that were in the $90?s a piece from Advanced Auto. I would susspect that yours would be in that ballpark but at a dealer, the price would be many times that plus labor.

Reply to
SnoMan

I'd farmed my Soob axle(s) out to a (non-dealer) trusted wrench. Ran me about $120 p/l. Just didn't seem to me to be worth attempting to clean the bearings/cage (time consuming and a risk of contamination).

Stew

Reply to
S.Lewis

I've decided to put on the entire axle. I have a mechanic friend who will do it on the side much cheaper. Thanks for the good advice!

Reply to
donnoble