Synthetic oil in hybrid

Let's see. You claimed the following:

"Obviously there must have been some tests, but since the results weren't favorable to the company paying for them they were never released."

We will show the independent links that show the benefit of synthetic oil in terms of MPG as soon as you show us the independent links that prove that companies who manufacture synthetic oil are conducting mileage tests and hiding the results because the results were not favorable.

Reply to
Mark A

Right... I guess it's pretty clear to everyone that you have absolutely no corroboration of your claims of increased mpg.

Again, 34 years after Mobil introduced synthetic oil, there's still no studies that show increased mpg.

No one argues that synthetics provide a benefit in cold climates where they flow more readily when cold, and in high performance engines, where the base stock doesn't break down as easily. But no one has been able to show any increased MPG from synthetics.

Reply to
SMS

I have !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
ransley

Funny, Mobil1 has one , online, for you to use, today, butt wipe , tests are there, how about a 100000 bet you are wrong or

1,000,000,000 , I bet you decline you cheap shit derelict. Alzheimers, the modern truth is here at last.
Reply to
ransley

Quite a few people in this forum have experienced at least a 2% improvement in fuel economy, which is almost enough these days to offset the higher price of the synthetic oil. Since we are just individuals, we don't feel like spending several million dollars to prove our claims with an independent test just to satisfy your perverse curiosity.

Reply to
Mark A

Actually, because synthetics generally have a higher HTHS rating vis-a-vis the static viscosity, (compared to conventional oils) they are more viscous under high stress condtions and that can reduce fuel economy, although the difference is slight.

For most street vehicles under average conditions, synthetics only make sense for extending drain intervals. It's amusing how many people are wasting their money draining synthetics at 3-5K service intervals. This seems to be an American cultural idiosyncrasy, because there is no technical basis for such a practice.

Reply to
jjnunes

Some engine manufacturers of high performance engines specify that the oil not have a decreasing HTHS under stress, so in this sense it's an advantage of the synthetic in terms of engine protection, even though it may very slightly (probably not even measurable outside a lab) decrease MPG. But for non-high performance engines the HTHS isn't going to change much more with a conventional base stock versus a synthetic base stock, because it's mainly the viscosity improvers (added to both kinds of base stock) that keep the HTHS rating within spec.

The term "recreational oil changer" was coined to define people that change their oil far more than necessary because they actually enjoy doing it. It's easy to understand the psychology behind the recreational oil changing. It's the visceral feel of the tools, the victory when that old oil filter breaks free, the hot dirty oil pouring out into the container (extra satisfaction if none splashes onto the driveway), the joy of oiling of the gasket on the new filter, that new copper or fiber gasket on the drain plug, torquing the drain plug to the right torque, the clean clear oil going in, and the sense of accomplishment when you start the car, the oil light comes on for a moment, then goes out. For $8-10 in oil and parts, it's pretty cheap entertainment, but if people would be content to do it only when it provides some benefit to the vehicle it would be better. For $50 in synthetic oil and parts, it's expensive entertainment.

This is true. Part of the reason is the oil change industry (like Jiffy Lube) is beating it into people's heads and in the absence of anyone telling them the truth they'll believe them. 3K is too often even for non-synthetics. Toyota switched to 5K normal interval (from 7.5K) because a few of the people that truly were operating in the "severe" category followed the "normal" interval" and experienced sludge problems. They decided it was too confusing to have two different intervals, even though relatively few owners fell into the severe category as defined by the owners manual. Changing synthetic at a 5K interval makes sense only during the warranty period of vehicles that specify a 5K change interval.

On the other hand, neither base stock has an effect on the acidity of the oil, or the moisture accumulation. Synthetics become acidic, and eventually become saturated with suspended soot particles, just like regular oil. It's the additives to the base stock that determine how well they work.

It's especially amusing to see people thinking that it's time for an oil change simply because their oil has become darker in color.

Reply to
SMS

So what do you sell bud

Reply to
ransley

I see so much BULL SHIT in your peeny assed statements, that I cant respond just once, to your most complete bull shit refrence in your statements. Lets start with BMW did a full written test, of 200,000 miles and found "almost no wear" with syn Mobil 1 oil. And regular oils dont pour in Canadas or Chicagos -28 -45 f low temps like syns, OK AH start it . And tell me why I get more mpg with mobil 1 !!! Or tell us all why we are dreaming, and as is proof, the only way to get more MPG is through LESS FRICTION, and that means LESS ENGINE WEAR,,, YOU are a fucktard boy, time to camp you out, time to put you out to pasture. ass hole

Reply to
ransley

LOL, actually what the real question should be is "what doesn't he sell?" Obviously he's not selling Amsoil.

What he said is a fact. For most vehicles, operated in non-severe weather environments synthetics make no sense unless you're extending the drain interval (which is something you still shouldn't do at least until the engine warranty is no longer in effect since in the event of a problem they'll demand evidence of adherence to the required oil change schedule).

There's no evidence of reduced wear or increased MPG for synthetics used in non-high performance engines in non-severe climates. Zero, zilch, nada. Even Mobil doesn't claim an increase in MPG, making only a heavily qualified statement that logically makes no sense.

"Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions, adjusting tire pressure, and your current engine oil viscosity."

So why should the savings versus regular oil depend on adjusting tire pressure or driving conditions? Both of those impact MPG, but neither have anything to do with which kind of oil is used.

Reply to
SMS

go look at Mobil1 site and see the taxi test video, non severe driving is what highway driving is, most of us in the US live where driving is considered severe.

Reply to
ransley

This is untrue if you follow Toyota's definition of "severe." It's not surprising so many people are confused, when you have companies like Jiffy Lube spending a fortune in ad dollars trying to convince people that virtually everyone falls into the severe service category.

If you do exclusively short trips with a lot of stop and go driving, without any longer, higher speed trips interspersed, that's severe. The vast majority of Toyota drivers do not fall into the severe category.

Reply to
SMS

I do, my family does, most I know drive in sever conditions this is a big city , a city where you might do 20mph all day, what you say toyota drivers are better, Haa what bs.

Reply to
ransley

I tend to believe the manufacturer. Each manufacturer specifies what constitutes normal and severe service. Read your manual.

Generally, severe service consists of operating the vehicle in a very muddy or dusty areas (because dust particles get through the air filter and contaminate the oil more quickly), operating the vehicle in a very hot areas (heat breaks down oil more quickly), using the vehicle exclusively for short trips in cold weather (the moisture in the oil never gets vaporized), or using the vehicle for towing or when carrying a car-top carrier.

You'll often see claims such as "everyone falls into the severe service category," but these claims are untrue and come either from oil change companies or from clueless individuals that have no knowledge of engine and oil technology. If you primarily do freeway driving in moderate weather you do not fall into the severe service category. If you're in doubt, the best way to see if you fall into the severe service category is to have an oil analysis done at the mileage of the severe service interval. Many people just like to play it safe and follow the severe service schedule, which is fine, but there is no benefit in changing the oil sooner than the severe service schedule states.

Synthetic oil provides no benefit to non-high performance engines operated in temperate climates, so don't waste money on synthetic oil for cars like Accords, Camrys, Corollas, or Civics. You won't get longer engine life and you won't get better fuel economy. The exception is if you want to extend your oil changes beyond the manufacturer's recommendations (don't do this during the warranty period!). What you should do is pay for an oil analysis every 2500 miles over 7500 miles until you figure out how long the oil lasts for your style of driving. Of course most non-synthetics will also go far longer than 7500 miles before an oil analysis shows that they need to be replaced.

Reply to
SMS