Tech Service Bulletin - transmission fix

When I took my 2007 Camry in for service yesterday (16000km) I told them I had some concerns about the transmission - it did not seem to know when to shift, and I mentioned the TSB.

They tested, noted the cause as ECM poor calibration, and reprogrammed the ECM/PCM

I noted an immediate improvement in the transmission response.

What I noted today surprised me a little, but it's a good surprise. One thing I noticed before I took the car in was that the console just behind the shifter used to get unusually warm. You could keep your breakfast sandwich toasty on it, or melt a chocolate bar, kinda warm, even on cool rainy days.

Today, it was cool as a cucumber, no heat felt anywhere, even after an hour's driving.

This is a very good thing.

Except now my breakfast sandwich will go cold.

Judy

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Since the actual transmission is literally 4 feet in front of the console, how do you explain your apparent belief that reprogramming the PCM affected the temperature of the console. The console is just a box with a shift lever and some wiring. The PCM isn't even in the console.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I had the same problem but they changed the transmission out for me.

The "hot spot" thing. Same here, it worried me, a service tech told me there is an amplifier under that console that gives off heat.

I discovered that if I put a lot of bass on the radio/cd player, that spot would start to get warm. Experiment with that and see if I'm right. It doesn't get warm on me anymore that I notice, so I quit worrying about it.

Just got back from Jasper and averaged 36+ miles to the gallon.... Drove at

100 kph steady and used air sparingly just to see what difference it would make. Real happy with car and dealer. LEV6

Reply to
rq

Sheesh.

I was just making an observation.

No need to dish attitude.

I think I'll go back to playing with my vintage wrecks.

C. E. White wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

I read your note earlier, so changed stations and cranked up the bass on the way home. I usually listen to an 'all news' station so don't get a lot of bass, but I do have a vague recollection of husband toning it down recently. Still no hot spot; I'll have to remember to take a CD with me in the morning and really crank it up, see what happens.

Have you noticed any improvement on your mileage with the replacement tranny?

I was getting 23-25 in the city, will have to see if that improves any.

rq wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

is an amplifier under

would start to get warm.

that I notice, so I quit

100 kph steady and used

What, pray tell, is the point in using A/C or heating "sparingly"? I believe in comfort and if that involves having the A/C on ALL the time, screw the fuel costs. Life is too short to worry about a few mpg.

had some concerns about

thing I noticed before I took

unusually warm. You could keep

even on cool rainy days.

how do you explain your

console. The console is

Reply to
sharx35

Dish attitude? I am just trying to understand how reprogramming the PCM could affect the temperature of the console. The transmisison isn't close to the console and the PCM is located elsewhere. I can't see how changing the PCM programming affects a hotspot on the console. It is a mystery. According to another poster, the amp for the stero is in the console. The Camry Manual shows the amplifier as being under the RH front seat, not in the console. The shop manual shows that HVAC air is routed through the console (at least with the ATC system). I don't see anything else in the console that should affect the temperature.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

it was probably this **how do you explain your apparent belief that reprogramming the PCM affected the temperature of the console**

Like I said, I was only making an observation. I found it oddly coincidental that the hot spot was gone.

Given that this is the first car I've had in a very long time that has a console, let alone AC, I wasn't sure what was hidden inside the big grey box between the seats, and although there are a variety of shop manuals in the house,

2007 Toyota Camry isn't one of them.

With your further explanation of what is and isn't in the vicinity of the console, I will take a stab that it's probably the AC that causes the hot spot - the weather has turned to fall, and I did not have need of the AC yesterday, and used it only very briefly today. If it's warm enough, I'll crank it up tomorrow and see what happens.

Ed White wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Well, some repair work will call for swapping parts or even relocating stuff. So I wouldn't be surprised if that was done to move whatever was causing the hot spot to a different place. Only the service procedure will tell, and the details aren't usually given to the customer.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks for the info. . I have a 2007 Camry CE and I almost got into an accident due irregular shifting. I hope this is this issue. How long did it take to recalibrate the ECM/PCM?

Reply to
Frumpy Bottom

I already had 2 ECM software upgrade. The first one IIRC late last year took 3 hours. The 2nd one, last month, took only 1 hour. They are from 2 different dealers.

4cyl LE Auto Trans

Reply to
EdV