FYI : Tech Bulletin on my '04 Tundra

Just an FYI for the NG....my '04 Tundra access cab is in to the dealer for its 25K service (basically, I get ripped off for an oil change !). During the course of the write-up, I mentioned an annoying chassis "chirp" coming from somewhere behind the cab I figured they'd say "Unable to duplicate" or some such, or maybe it was something coming from the ARE cap I've installed....but what the heck.

When they called to tell me the truck was ready, I was surprised to hear that there was a TB on this issue...he said something about the "cap nut" on the rear shocks. I couldn't find anything on the web about this, and I haven't picked up the truck yet to see if that fixed the problem, but I thought I'd let you all know. If you also have a chirp when going over bumps, etc, you might mention it to your dealer !

Dean...

Reply to
D Larsen

Sounds like TSB US003-04 Rear Shock Squeak : "Customers may experience a squeak noise coming from the rear shocks when traveling over bumps or rough road surfaces. This noise may be caused by an increased rubbing condition between the frame gusset and the upper shock mounting retainers. A field fix has been developed to address this issue"

Yeah, TSBs are hard to find, unless you subscribe to something like AllData or TundraSolutions. Annoying.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Thanks for the info, Andy !

I DID manage to find a short description of this TSB on the Triple A web page, but there wasn't a whole lot of detail.....

Driving the truck, I STILL hear the chirp over bumps, but it does seem to be reduced....I suspect it's one of those things that you can drive yourself crazy trying to find....I'm not going to worry about it anymore !

Thanks again !

Dean...

Andy Hill wrote:

Reply to
D Larsen

"my '04 Tundra access cab is in to the dealer for its 25K service (basically, I get ripped off for an oil change"

Why have that work done at the dealership? You only need to return to the dealership for warranty claims. You can have the required maintenance done at any licensed auto repair shop. Have the work listed on the receipt, and your warranty is protected. You can do the maintenance work yourself and keep receipts and a log book, also.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Ken,

I hear ya ! But I've gotten to the point in my life where arguing over $30 - $40 dollars "savings" just isn't worth it ! I can afford the service, even if I get ripped off, so I'm hedging my bets and doing the dealer service, at least during the life of my extended warranty I purchased. Yeah, I know, I know....extended warranties are ALSO a rip off ! But I've never owned a 4 WD vehicle before, and I decided I'd just feel better if I had the coverage....I'm sure Toyota LOVES brainless customers like me !

An aside....my deck needed cleaning and re-staining....I said "We can do this"....so my wife and I spent 2+ days of our 3 day weekend, power washing and staining the deck.....about 5 hours into the restaining, I said "Ya know ? Next time I'll pay someone else to do this ." I got better things to do with my time !

Thanks for your comments !

Dean...

Ken Shelt>

Reply to