Tips on removing fuel filter?

I'd like to help my son replace the fuel filter in his 1993 Toyota Camry, but I could use some advice on removing the old filter.

When we try to loosen either the bolt on top of or under the filter, the entire filter starts to pivot. How do I loosen these bolts without disturbing the lines going into the filter?

Thanks.

Reply to
acunniff

There's a nut fused into the underside/inlet-side of the fuel filter; hold it with a spanner. Do not let the fuel filter rotate, otherwise it'll break the fuel line.

-T

Reply to
tsingh

And for the lower fuel line nut (not the integral hex on the filter), get a really strong, substantial flare nut wrench. It is unlikely that an ordinary open-ended spanner will do more than round off this nut. Other experiences with this?

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Best idea for removing the lower flare nut on the fuel filter - which can often be very tight.

1st Use penetrating oil and let it soak in for some time. I used Kroil with good results. 2nd Use a crow foot flare nut wrench which fits on a ratchet extension. The design is more rigid than a typcial flare nut wrench, so the jaws won't flex. Had heard about this lower fuel fitting being luck of the draw - sometimes they come off, sometimes you wind up replacing the entire section of fuel line by damaging it during removal. With this method that little nut spun off so easily it only took a matter of seconds.
Reply to
Daniel

I also remove the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the line. Helps reduce the amount of gas that comes out of the lines.

--
Tony Marsillo
Nutmeg Repair

You should loosen the bottom bolt first. And that's the first thing you should try loosening. Do not remove or loosen the bracket until you got both bolts loose. Use a 19mm to hold the filter and a 12mm or 14mm (don't remember) FLARE wrench for the flare nut underneath. If you use a regular wrench you may strip or bend the flare nut. I've done a lot of these, it's not that hard if you take your time and have the proper tools.

Reply to
Rog