what non-regular maintenance to work on a 1994 Camry?

The car is still going strong at 160K miles. I'd like to push it to the limit and wonder if there is anything I should do to improve the chance. I had timing belt changed at 124K. I changed oil regularly.

I noticed a noise like da-da-da when turning slowly after all the snow problem in the East coast. What could be the problem causing that? It might hit the snow or ice at the bottom of the car last week.

Reply to
cpliu

A 94 in winter salt? Well if you see any body rust the brake and fuel lines are likely dangerously rotted and the gas tank straps also. My

91 needed new fuel lines in 06 and the brakes completely failed far away from home at night in 07 as did the gas tank straps. So after a snow storm that you stressed the motor you likely have internal damage like a bearing. Have a look at the fuel-brake lines where they are hidden under the side rail plastic cover and tank straps, fixing just those is more than the car is worth today. Salt kills all cars early, you need a mechanic to go over it to see if its worth keeping.
Reply to
ransley

No matter what happened to Toyota quality today, my 94 Camry seems to be really great. No major problems I can remember since 94. Changed the brake shoes as required and a dead battery (after leaving it home for 1 month). Everything else is still on its original. It may not worth much in the market, but it is still very dependable and worthwhile to me. I drive 20K each year in the last 2 years. I plan to drive it past 200K and past its 20 year anniversary. I will have a mechanic checking it per your advice.

Reply to
cpliu

Heh, we just sold our '98 Sienna with 250K miles to some friends. Car is still running great. We just wanted a newer, more comfortable car.

and wonder if there is anything I should do to improve the

You should change all the fluids (brake, power steering, transmission, coolant). Ever change the PCV? Perhaps consider spending a few bucks at a Toyota dealer service; they actually know what your car needs.

Park it inside a heated garage for a few hours, drive it again and see if the sound persists.

Reply to
ACAR

Check your CV boots are not split. The Constant Velocity joints live up against the front road-wheels, on the inside. If the joint(s) have been under-lubricated, they will start to make noises on turning. If they are very worn, they'll start to make noises driving straight ahead.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James