03 Taco with LT 265's in snow

We're finally getting snow here in Newfoundland and I'm tackling the roads with my 03 extcab Taco with TRD 16" wheels and BFG AT 265 tires. My truck originally came with steel wheels and 225 tires. Right now its in the garage getting the 225's and steel wheels put back on. The AT's are brutal in slippery and snowy conditions. Just too wide. If the right wheels hit deep snow and the left wheels don't, the truck's steering pulls hard to the right. Turning sometimes it just goes straight, even in 4 wheel drive.

It will be interesting to see what the difference is, if any I guess, once the original wheels/tires go back on. I'll find out later, perhaps tomorrow morning with another 15-20cm (6-8 inches for our US readers) on the way!

Reply to
Brad P

I've got the 225 Dunslop and their also sh*t in the snow (really poor in slush) I had to park my taco since I don't have enough coin to change to winter tires and can't afford the front end alignments. Dunslop says buy snow tires and Toy Canada tells me that the Grandtrek are fine with 0 complaints and go p up a rope if their not satisfactory. Just read the poor reports at 1010tires.com Geesh 1-2 inches of slush on a paved road and your sliding into curbs at 10 km/hr. Heaven knows what would happen if it really snowed here in Ottawa. Buyer beware

Toy Canada said you couldn't up size to 16". The computer is fixed with regards to tire size and shift point ABS etc would be negatively effected. I'm suprised you got 15" on 4x4 I thought they only came on the 4 cylinder trucks.

Your best bet is the Toyo GP4 snow tires. Wife has them on her Rav and I've never seen a winter tire like this

Good luck

Brad P wrote:

Reply to
Dwight