2002 Sequoia non JBL Stereo replacment?

Thats why in the show room, you set all the controls to a "neutral" position so you got some room to customize it for your vehicle.

Yup... been there, done that.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I've done my share. The Quarts may not be the most efficient, but they sound good! And, I haven't run out of amp on the stock head unit yet, and I had it cranked up PLENTY loud enough. Also, on the Scions, at least, there is a trick you can do to change the characterstics of the sound. It has a built in 7 band EQ set at the factory; tC, xB and xA. The xB setting is the one with the most presence, but the actual sound isn't as good as the tC setting.

Now, if I can find some way to access the EQ and make some 'changes'...

What do you have for an amp, and Cabinets? I have a Carvin 300 with an old SVT 4-12 cabinet, and a Fender 2-15 cabinet.

The Fender has a mellower sound and the SVT is more punchy; I like the SVT better but it comes down to weight! The SVT is 102 LBS, and the Fender is

65!

I never turn my amp up more than 4, usuall 3 or less. Both cabinets are 4 ohms.

I have a Dan Armstrong/Ampeg bass made in 1969, and a Japanese Fender P-Bass Lyte. I had a friend that sold a Lidl for $600 and never called me! I could have killed him!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I have always done this, even back in the day...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Ampeg B2R head, Eden 2x10, Mesa 1x15, Peavey Cirrus bass.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was working in a 'Dep't' Store in the late 70's in the Gadget dep't, of course! And I remember seeing the stereos (Sound Design, Aampex(no relation), Webcor, etc with stickers that said 144 WATTS!!!* (and in small letters... *IPP- Instantaneous Peak Power) which means for one millisecond, when the bass drum is hitting HARD, the amp can output 144 Watts. The Real RMS ratings on these things were lucky to hit 5 watts, and when you threw in Distortion figure, you were lucky to hit 1 Watt (usually abotu 500mW was a fair rating) Still, 1 Watt RMS is LOUD! I probably run about 12 watts in the Supra with the roof off.

But, the Audio industry has shied away from that for the most part. The Sony WILL put out a decent 52 Watts per channel, at 1 or 2 ohms (and it says it will run stable at 2 ohms...I don't want to push it that hard) and

28 Watts at .1% THD into 4 ohms. That's not bad for something the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes!

Yeah. I have a 12" sub in an old Pignose amp (!) in the rear of my Supra, and some 'kids' have said, well, it's not all that. Yeah, it IS because I don't care if anyone outside the car can hear it or not; that's not my intention! I am also a bass player and like nice clean bottom and middle bass that often can't be reproduced with a set of even 6x9's but DON'T want THUMP*THUMP*THUMP, either. I have a nice, well balanced system in the Supra.

That sounded even better when it was in a Tercel! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

6x9s are a joke. In the home, where have you ever seen an oval speaker? In a clock radio? :-)

Where I worked, we got so disgusted with them that we began making our own adaptors for installing 6" rounds in 6x9 cutouts. We used nice baltic birch ply. In the beginning, we were making them one at a time for each installation. After a few months, we narrowed the variety down to 3 or 4 that worked in any car. We didn't charge for them in the beginning, because we told customers that the experiment was our idea, not theirs. We eventually sold them for just the cost of the wood because we were able to make them so quickly. $7 or $8 bucks a pair.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I was always personally a big fan of more and good-quality 10's or 12's for bass guitar vs. 15's and 18's. You just need a decent number of 10 or 12 inch drivers to reach the same clean volume as one good 15 or 18.

Of all the rigs I owned, my favorite used Marshall 4x12's reloaded with EV's. Yes, they're heavy, especially in cases. I also used some JBL loaded 2x12 Bag End and Joe's cabinets that sounded great. The best sounding "stock" cabinet I ever had was an old 6 (that's right (6), as weird as that sounds) x 10" Yamaha cabinet. It wasn't as boomy as an

8x10 SVT cabinet, and had a very clear bass guitar response, with SMOOTH and solid low end. It turned out to be stolen, and the guy I bought it from had to refund my money. 8^( I could never find another!

I'm a P-Bass w/ EMG P/J pickup type of guy. I routed my own P bass, with Dremel tool with router attachment, for a bridge J pickup in 1980. Now we can buy 'em like that!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Stock speakers are designed for one reason only, to be as efficient as possible, this makes em fairly cheap, also makes the headunit even cheaper.

After market speakers arent anywhere as efficient but have way better power capabilities. BTW I love the Quarts.

Reply to
Scotty

Well I installed a Jvc KD-ADV6270 Arsenal DVD MP3 DivX VCD CD USB iPod ready Player today.

So my answers so far are:

Yes the Factory head unit is a washed out dud. The new unit is crisp and alive with far better sound over the same factory speakers. Their was no amp in my NON-JBL system. I used a Toyota Pocket install kit (SCOSCHE TN2150B) and Toyota 1981 and up wiring harness adapter. The install was extremely easy since I did not have to do any wiring out side of the harness. The only hitch if any was the trim piece on the out side of the units face had to come off to get the factory panel to go back into place.

The remote is an IR hand held that suits me fine. Even though nothing compares to built in steering wheel controls.

The speakers are by no means the best, about 7 out of a possible 10 but good enough for me not to take the door skins off and enjoy the sound quality I have become accustom to. And not to mention I can put every song I've ever had on one DVD in MP3 format. Talk about a Personal Jukebox this is it and I have a video out capability if I wont to try that in the future also.

Reply to
btp

Yeah, me too. But I have the original German made ones, not the 'Korean' Rockfords!

Reply to
Hachiroku

All at once!!!

Damn, that Ampeg head is nice. Too much $$$ for me, though. If I were playing every weekend I'd consider it.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's a decent price, when you're paying $7.99 or more for Plastic!

Damn! I had to make some cutouts for my tC, and all I had was some nice, dense Melamine shelving. Worked pretty well!

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is nothing else. Infinity, Quarts, Boston Acoustics, Some JBL, Sound stream subs all amoung my favourite audio gear. Well thats my opinion anyway.

Reply to
Scotty

Oh and as for headunits Alpine only, Amps- Alpine Pheonix Gold or Sound stream.

Reply to
Scotty

We were doing this around 1980. IIRC, a 4x8 sheet of Baltic birch ply was mayb $50, and we'd get like 843 adapters out of that sheet. :)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

It was their smallest head unit. 225 watts or something like that, into 8 ohms. 400-ish into 4 ohms. With just one cabinet, it strains a bit, but with both, it sings.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If you're someplace cold, leave the doors alone until warmer weather. Don't ask why.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I used to love Alpine stuff, but the last two Alpine units I had weren't anywhere near as good as my Alpine cassette decks!

On one, the 'clamshell' for the CD came apart (a friend of mine did it; I still haven't got a clue as to how he managed it!). I snapped it back together, but, believe it or not, I didn't like it as much as an 'Optimus' cassette deck!!!!

I can't remember wht happened to the next one (I took it out of a trade-in) but something was up with it...Oh, yeah...it was made in '97 and will play a homemade CD once! After that it wil never play it again!

I also have an Eclipse, but can't find a 13-pin harness for it!!! (Without spending $60!!!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

wow. Now the 'material' is...um...I can't remember, but it's basically fine, fine sawdust and glue. Very, very dense! Good for speakers.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Baltic birch ply isn't sawdust and glue. You're thinking of particle board.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom