2004 Toyota Highlander Airbag Warning Light

A freinds 2004 Toyota Highlander has the air bag warning light illuminated. My advice was to take it to he dealer for diagnosis. Naturally there is reluctance to do this. The local Toyota dealers are no noted for their integrity.

I have two questions related to this problem:

1) Is there a way to pull the air bag warning light codes without a scan tool?

2) Is there an extended warranty for air bag faults? I searched on the web and it seems like this is a very common concern for 2004 Highlanders. For 2004 Toyota added weight sensors in the seats and my guess (only a guess) is that this is the likely source of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Let's see: Cost of a repair, maybe $500. Cost of a life: Priceless.

The person needs to go to a dealer, now.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Wait for Ray O to chime in about this. Maybe he can provide some guidance as to what various repairs *should* cost at the dealership, so at least your friend will know if he's getting hosed.

Does your friend have a reliable mechanic he has been using for years, or does he use the "Whatever I have a coupon for" method of choosing a shop?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He has a regular, non-Toyota Shop he likes, but I recommended he use a dealer. I think the air bag system is very complicated and requires specialized test equipment.

He is concerned about taking it to the local dealer. I can understand his concern. I know I don't trust any of the Toyota dealers closest to me. Somali pirates could learn from thse guys....However, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and hope.

I am never suprised when I see Toyota dealers near the bottom of Customer Satisfaction surveys.

Ed

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I agree, but it would be nice to have some idea of the possibilities. I now see there are ways to pull the air bags codes manually. If it was my car (and it isn't) I would like to know the codes ahead of time. I'd most likely still take it to the dealer, but at least I go in with some idea of where I was headed. After furter reading, it seems this is not an uncommon problem for that vintage Highlander.

I believe my friend will be taking it to the dealer in the near future.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

That seems to be the way with our local dealer. They sell Fords and Toyotas. Took them over 2 weeks just to tell me the mass air flow sensor was bad. I thought it was by the way the Autozone chart gaveout but thought I would get a 'professional' openion before I spent $ 600 for one. Should have bought it as they replaced several other sensors and items first and ran the bill up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

In most cases, codes can be pulled without a scan tool if you have a factory repair manual.

If there were an extended warranty for air bag faults, the vehicle's owner would have received a notice from Toyota stating that. If the owner is a good customer at the dealership, the dealership might ask the factory rep for goodwill assistance.

Reply to
Ray O

I seem to remember there was something a few years ago about a sensor going bad but it wasn't a cheap fix - I am scratchng but it seemed like the one in the right front near the headlight but I am probably wrong.

Ron

Reply to
ron

Cash for clunker maybe?