AirBag warning Light

Hello Again Group sorry to be such a pain in the rear again but i now have another bloody problem.....

and I hope somebody wouldn`t mind helping me again,

Ford Escort 1994, 1.4i, CVH

The Airbag light is now flashing all the time, anybody any suggestions or clues? I`ve heard it could be a dodgy connection but i don`t know where to check? Any advice

Cheers Again

Si

Reply to
Dongo!

Flashes Problem

1 Drivers airbag failure 2 Passengers airbag failure 3 Failure of both airbag units 4 Pyrotechnic seatbelt pretensioner failure (Either side) 5 Drivers airbag failure - System shorted 6 Passengers airbag failure - System shorted 7 Drivers crash sensor failure 8 Passengers crash sensor failure

The common failure is the connecters under the seats. Treat the tensioners with the same paranoia as airbags, follow the instructions in the manual about disconnecting battery (remembering radio code ets.) & you can unplug & replug them to clean the contacts up.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

with the same paranoia as airbags, follow the instructions in the manual about disconnecting battery (remembering radio code ets.) & you can unplug & replug them to clean the contacts up.

Make sure there is no static around before re-connecting - an old contact of mine at a factory in Solihull once mentioned about his reworking a vehicle, only to be rewarded with a surprise, 'less clean' trousers and a couple of days off for shock.

If you are unplugging the airbag modules themselves make double sure - the shorting bars on the squib connectors may not always short the connector pins out after a number of years of being connected.

And the Escorts built in 1994 had a gas generator propellant of 8g - 4g of nitrocellulose, 4g of nitroglycerine, and a few traces of other materials - please handle with care! (If in doubt - see the dealer as they are now 10 years old and will probably need replacing)

Adam H

Reply to
Rev. Alfa Adam

Statics a good point, ~I've seen a Volvo pretensioner detonated by a vacuum cleaner, the 10 year service life on many devices has been extended to 15 years, check with your manufacturers service info

Reply to
Duncan Wood