2004 V-8 4 Runner

I got bought a 04 v-8 SPORT 4-Runner. Anybody have any comments about gas mileage, type of fuel your using likes and dislikes. Thanks Joe

Reply to
Jodysdee

"Jodysdee" sez:

Mine is an '04 Tundra D-Cab with the 4.7 V8 ... 13-14 city, 15-17 highway and it digests 85 octane fuel just fine ...

VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Average around 15-16 MPG I have the 03 limited with the v8.

Reply to
Dan J. S.

Glad I went with an 03 V6 4L then with gas $$$ what it is -- get 15-21 MPG using regular unleaded.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Yep. About 15-16 around town in stop and go traffic. On freeway if you keep under 60 mpg, it bests at 21. Don't trust the MPG computer, it is off by 2mpg.

Reply to
DTT

Off which way?

Reply to
Dan J. S.

High. Depending on the kind of driving you are doing it could be off by as much as 4 MPG. If you are in an area where you regularly get up to

55-60 and have to stop for frequent traffic lights it seems to make the error larger.
Reply to
Steve

My V8 got about the same mileage 15-21 so there is not much difference. The V8 has 5 speed, versus 4 speed on the V6. I got to have a V8 to tow.

Reply to
DTT

I realize it's just academic, but I always think that the way car manufacturers match transmissions to engines is kind of backwards. A friend of mine had a Corvette (don't remember the year) with an LT-1 engine (I think). Anyway, it was a fire breathing monster V8 and was backed up with a 6-speed manual transmission. When I was younger, back in the 50's and 60's, I remember the small British sports cars coming with four speed transmissions. Conventional wisdom was that the smaller, lower horsepower engine needed a good close-ratio gearbox to remain within its powerband. American cars with big V8's would get by with three-speed transmissions just fine because of their wide power bands and excess power. One British race driver said that a four-speed transmission was wasted in a Corvette except for the ego factor of the driver... :>))

No flames required, I was just commenting, and remember:

Your mileage may vary

Children under five admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult

Due to adult content, parental discretion is advised

Keep your hands inside the vehicle at all times

Reply to
TOM