series gearbox/prop question

i had a look at my 2A today which i havent driven anywhere for a while due to its rattle (which happens on gear changes).

How much free movement/rotation should there be on the front prop when all the wheels are on the ground? I can turn my front prop quite a bit if i lie under the landy and when i do so it makes a clonk just like the one i get when i change gear.

It is not play in the UJ's but in the transfer box and diff

I have checked the oil in everything and they were all good. I took it for a quick drive round the estate today with the FWH's locked and it didnt seem to rattle - so could a rattle on gear change be down to the transfer box or front prop?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Didn't they have U.J.'s i the swivels instead of CV's... could this be where the rattle is?

My front prop used to be like a back of spanners on my IIa.

I have an unknown condition SIII box that I've dug out of the hedge if you need one for beer money... if only as an exchange unit.

We must be due some snow if your Landie is playing up again ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

yeah it has UJ' in the front axle. Reckon one of them on the way out could cause a rattle on taking up drive? They were fine a few years ago when i replaced the swivels and ive kept the oil levels good.

ive had noisy rear props and they sounded nothing like the rattle i have which is a much louder nastier sounding one than the rattly vibration you get off a rear prop.

indeed! Though i really need to get the 101 mot'd before christmas so i might be able to go out in that (though im not sure i want to wearing bargrips!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes, but if so, one of the u-joints is the prime suspect, either in the prop shaft or swivels. Another possibility (perhaps in addition to this) is that you are stuck in four wheel drive - due to rust on the selector rods at the front of the transfer case. But most problems like this turn out to be the effect of a dragging handbrake on the otherwise inconsequential slack in the drive train (and there can be quite a bit, made up of play in all the splines, side play in diff sun and planet wheels etc, without being a problem. JD

Reply to
JD

4wd definately disengages

hmm. the brakes are dragging slightly as possibly is the handbrake. it was hard work actually moving the thing after it has been parked up for the last 3 weeks! I had to leave it to warm up for a while so that it didnt stall when i was thrashing it against the brakes!

Reply to
Tom Woods

It is usually the relay lever mounted on the chassis connecting the vertical and horizontal rods that seizes up on the pivot just in front of the handbrake assembly. With the handbrake in the off position look underneath and lever it down against the chassis with a big screwdriver but watch you don't get run over, scotch the wheels.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I think Oily said this in my last thread too. 10 points to you both!

I had a look at the handbrake linkage yesterday and found that the handbrake backplate is no longer attached to the thing that pushes the shoes out. As i have presumably had it set so tight for so long (to account for the drum full of oil) the backplate has fractured round the pushy bit so that when you pull on the handbrake now it just pulls the whole adjuster out of the big hole in the back plate and presumably wedges the shoes at an angle!

With the handbrake lever left well off and after tapping the drum to straighten the shoes out my rattle has gone and i can drive the truck.

I shall be having it all apart and welding it up if possible later.

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Tom Woods" wrote:-

If it's totally knackered I've got a few second hand ones around and also got all the associated parts and clips (new or s/hand) etc. to save repairing it if you are in the north west.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

IIRC you are quite far north west? im near crewe (m6 j16)

Im not going to rush it. I simply dont have time so i think i will benefit more from laying the landy up for a few months. It actally drives alright now and i dont need it after i've picked up a few bits next weekend. I shall strip it down after next weekend and see if it is possible to weld it up decently. A mate has a scrap box locally (well 30 miles or so away) so i might be able to salvage bits from there or from one i hear Lee_D is tripping over ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Looks like we're in for a long hard, 8 ft snow drifts, mother of a winter then :-)

Yep.. the sooner I deposit it at your place the less likely I am to fit it in Percy so you're welcome to it to remove my temptation. That one is still over at my Ma and Pa's. I suspect it's a SIII box, untested by meself and been stood in a hedge for yonks but would do for the bits you need or to send in as a service exchange some time. Only bits I may want off it are the actuator rod and the gearbox/transferbox mounts/brackets as I suspect I may end up moving the box and engine in Percy forward to accomodate the exhaust..... all this of course is on my tuit's list

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Fairy 'nuff, but in any event I'll be going down to London in about 2 weeks, so, any probs....

Martin

Reply to
Oily