4Runner clutch replacement.

The cost of replacing the clutch on my 1992 4Runner V6 4WD is going to run about $1000CDN at the mechanics around here so I am considering doing it myself. I was wondering if anyone here has tackled this job and what the difficulty level is, and if you have any words of wisdom.

Thanks!

-Anthony.

Reply to
xoltri

At the risk of being rude, I'll ask this to try to support my own observations in newsgroups.

Typically.... If you have to ask if you can do a job yourself whether its a clutch, motor rebuild, timing belt install, etc, I would think you really DONT have the skills to tackle it. SO why ask? Just pay your bill and drive.

I realize I'm hijacking this thread, but it might be interesting to find out what others think of this sort of question.

AND.... Good luck on your repairs no matter who does them.

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

Just my thoughts. If you have to ask, pay the money. It's not rocket science, but you need the tools and knowledge.

Reply to
Joseph Myers

Yep, if you have to ask.

Hey, if you have a heap of spare time a good back and the right tools, go for it.

While its out make sure you get some extractors fitted so that you can make the most of having the gearbox out. (Cant do the task without pulling out the box really)

Reply to
Scotty

Sure you can do it - takes a good 8-10 hours the first time - ya need 4' of ratchet extensions and ya need to rent a transmission jack. Parts are a good $120 USD. If you waited too long - you'll need to mave the pressure plate trued up or replaced (another $50-150). Follow this link to step by step instructions. Helps if ya have a friend too!

Wolfgang

That's about a fair price if it includes parts. The dealer will probably charge you twice that and your first born.

Reply to
Joseph Wind

That's not unreasonable especially for a 4WD.

We obviously can't gauge your level of experience but if your mechanical experiences have been limited to tune ups, oil changes, perhaps replacing brake pads or an alternator, I'd recommend leaving it to your mechanic.

It's a big job.

Some Toyota trucks have a nonremovable cross member integral with the frame which makes it easier to remove the whole engine and transmission as a unit than try to drop the transmission separately.

Even if your truck does not fall into that category - the transmission and t-case are heavy. The back of the engine generally needs to be supported so that it doesn't tip and damage other components (the radiator is a favorite). And not being able to line up the shaft splines on reinstallation is the classic newbie difficulty. If you haven't experienced this frustration with a 2WD car or truck, it's even more difficult with 4WD and the offset weight of the transfer case wanting to pull the whole assembly sideways.

If you need your truck for driving, I'd suggest that you put on a fat check writin' grin and pay your mechanic. If you can afford to have your truck out of service for a week and want to stretch your mechanical skills, then pull it apart yourself.

Reply to
Mike Harris

I think there's some validity to that observation. Those capable of making the repair simply *do* it.

On the other hand, those who ask - well, how can I as a reader possibly evaluate the skills of the poster? I mean, yes - any repair is possible in theory - my personal working assumption is that if an assembly line worker put it together then I can repair it; however, that's *my* skill set.

But what about the poster of "that query?" Did (s)he just learn how to change their own oil? Does their tool kit consist of a hammer, two screwdrivers, a pair of slip joint pliers and an 8" adjustable crescent wrench?

So yes. I believe the proper answer to someone who asks "can I do this repair" - without providing some idea of the skills and tools that they can bring to the task - is "probably not."

Reply to
Mike Harris

Good observation, Mike. Been kinda ragging on that same thing off and on for several years. The "I'd like to do it myself, can you give me some advice" approach almost always gets some good responses. Conversely the "how do I do it" always leads me to wonder if the tools, skills, even manuals are within the scope of the poster! I made an observation several months ago regarding the lack of posts to this group i.e. maybe folks have finally found out where the dipstick is located, maybe they finally read the F.M..

Regards; Bill Plano

Reply to
Bill Hall