85 22re poor start

1985 4cyl carbuerator 5speed. Will not start on cold mornings unless I pump the accelerator and keep pumping. Will not idle till warm, then it idles and runs like new.

New plugs, wire, fuel pump, filter.

Is there any "shade tree" I can do with automatic choke? THANKS!

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

ObiWan

If yours has the electric choke as my '87 does, make sure you are getting power to the choke coil. Also, the choke coil may be bad. I had to turn the choke coil about 20° to get enough choking action from it. I still pump the the Accelerator 4 or 5 times before cranking the engine over. I don't pump it after the engine starts so that the "idle up" feature will operate.

Jarhead

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion...Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

-John Adams

Reply to
Jarhead

Make sure the choke is working properly. With the ignition off pump the accelerator one time. Remove the air cleaner and look at the choke plate, it should be fully closed when cold. If not, check to see what is keeping it from closing. It is possible for the chole coil to lose it's tension and cause this. If that is the problem replace the choke coil.

Reply to
Mike